cable modem

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikezx

cable modem

Post by mikezx »

Hello all, thanks for all of the hard work to get this site back up!<p>My question is: On my Road Runner cable modem at home, there are 3 green led's that all have to be on in order for the thing to work right. I have a cable coming into the room where I have a high performance 2 GHz 4Db splitter that separates the line for a TV set. It has been working ok now for about 2 years or so, but it has recently started acting up. The green led that indicates a cable signal will not light up unless I take the line feeding the splitter off and direct connect the cable modem to it. I was wondering if there is any quick way to test the cable to isolate a problem with a connection or whatever. I know that the Time Warner guys have a box that tests the signal. Thanks alot!
josmith

Re: cable modem

Post by josmith »

shouldn't you be checking the splitter since the modem works without it?
mikezx

Post by mikezx »

hello, thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention that I've already bought a new splitter and it does the same thing. I really think that it's one of my cables maybe in the attic that has a bad joint or something. :eek:
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

I just got done making the cable company re-run my drop and also have a short run to the modem, which helps.<p>The shorter the run and the better than cable the easier the modem locks onto the signal