Steam power?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Engineer1138

Steam power?

Post by Engineer1138 »

Does anyone here build steam engines?<p>I have wanted to build one for the longest while and just started researching steam engines & Stirling engines. I have a preliminary design for a valve & double-acting cylinder, just need time to actually build it ;-)<p>Should look for a blog that caters to that kind of thing, but I thought I'd ask here first.
Chris Smith

Re: Steam power?

Post by Chris Smith »

Purchase a old worn out Wankle Rotary engine out of a Mazda, [or NSU] It makes a great steam engine.
thesprocket

Post by thesprocket »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
Purchase a old worn out Wankle Rotary engine out of a Mazda, [or NSU] It makes a great steam engine.<hr></blockquote><p>Don't forget the '75 Suzuki RE-5. it's 500cc(accepted equivalent displacment) may be appropriate for your project size.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

Nah. Much more fun to start with a block of brass, a drill press and a handful of tools...
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Check out this thread if you haven't already...
Nuts and Volts Thread
Dave
ACDC

Post by ACDC »

Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

You need to check out one of the many antique gas and steam engine shows that pop up all over the country. Fairfield, Iowa; St. Peters, Missouri; Fairview, Oklahoma; Pawnee, Oklahoma. I like Pawnee's the best and it's the first weekend in May ... oops, too late for that one. They have all sorts of steam engine model builders displaying their models, books and other literature on the subject. the model builders make them from nearly pocket-sized to garden tractor size, and all from scratch.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
2M MACHINING

Post by 2M MACHINING »

Ya just cant beat the sence of acompleshment when you carve anything like that out of billit material.<p>If you need help with any machining let me know.<p>some neet stuff at this site.
http://www.homestead.com/tool20895/CABIN2002.html<p>MIKE M
jwax

Post by jwax »

If anybody is into foundry, metal working, do-it-yourself projects, you have to see the books from Lindsay Publications!
www.lindsaybks.com
WA2RBA
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I was away for a while. Nice pile of responses to come back to.<p>jwax: I have the charcoal foundry Gingery book from Lindsay and have melted/cast aluminum in my flowerpot furnace. I'm hoping to get around to doing brass and maybe even iron later this year.<p>I looked at the links and bookmarked some good ones. As a result, I started building a tiny (.25 x .75) wobbler from brass stock, using a 1/4"ID brass bushing as a cylinder liner, as a prototype of (hopefully) bigger things to come. Hope to get it done this weekend if weather is too yucky to do stuff outside.
josmith

Post by josmith »

http://img14.imgspot.com/u/05/200/20/1000129.jpg<p>[ July 20, 2005: Message edited by: josmith ]</p>
asm_2750

Post by asm_2750 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by jwax:
If anybody is into foundry, metal working, do-it-yourself projects, you have to see the books from Lindsay Publications!
www.lindsaybks.com
<hr></blockquote><p>Those are good books, but heres something better than the charcoal whatamacallit. foundry
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

There are two magazines for anyone interested in making a steam engine from a hunk of brass, Home Shop Machinist and Live Steam. Both are great!