controll boat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
opadietrich

controll boat

Post by opadietrich »

i am in the process building a 20 ft pontoonboat with a diesel 60 hp driving a jetpump want to steer the boat with a screwdrive i have from a satelite dish is like a windshield d c motor reverse polarity and shaft goes in and out
want to be able run it from computer wich runs gps and i would be able to run it in autopilot.i am not a computer geek anyone could give me a helping hand thanks
HighFrequency

Re: controll boat

Post by HighFrequency »

Could you add some punctuation to your post? It is very difficult to understand.
There is only one correct answer, mine.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I'd suggest heading over to a boating supply store or a ships' chandler and looking at commercial autopilots.<p>What you are trying to do, even for an experienced developer is difficult, complex and potentially dangerous. Add to that mix the admission that you're not "a computer geek" and I think you're just heading for frustration.<p>If you decide to ignore the above and charge onwards (I probably would in your place :-) you could start by Googling for the search term "NMEA format" to find out how GPS receivers send data out in computer readable format. Next learn an easy computer language like Python or Visual Basic to understand how to read the data and calculate positions and tracks. <p>That'll be a ton of learning in and of itself. If you're still interested by that point, come back and we can point you at some books/websites on motion control and feedback control theory.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Will this boat be manned during auto pilot operation or operated remotely? Sounds dangerous if no person onboard.
Have you checked out autopilot/GPS control devices. Some of these have a reasonable price tag. Check out WEST MARINE or BOAT U. S. for starters
rstofer

Post by rstofer »

Autopilots for smaller sailboats (those with tillers) often use a linear actuator. All designed, built and ready to go.<p>Many autopilots connect to GPSs but there are issues...
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

An autopilot like you describe would first need input from a compass, typically a fluxgate. GPS has no idea which way it is "pointed" until it is moving, and the delay betweeen "fixes" is usually too great to provide timely course correction information. Output from a compass is quick and constant. I suspect that with GPS only for input your craft will wander instead of steering a straight line. Good luck<p>Tom