connecting motors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

connecting motors

Post by Mike »

i have these 2 motors. One is from a scanner and the other is, i think, from a floppy drive.<p>The one i think is from a floppy drive is made by Saynkyo. It says:<p>TYPE
MSJE200B11
VOLT DC 12V
No. 9Z26
Saynkyo
JAPAM<p>i only found this about it and it makes sense since it says that MSJE200B1 is a 5.25 inch floppy drive.<p>http://www.intellesale.com/sankyo_0.asp<p>The motor has 5 wires: brown, black, orange, yellow, and red<p>The other motor is made by TECO. It is from a scanner (visioneer or something like that). It says:<p>TYPE 4H4018F0101
3.3V 1.0A 0143
TECO MADE IN TAIWAN<p>This one has 4 wires: White, yellow, red, and blue.<p>I found no info about it.<p>how do i connect these motors to work?
High4Volts

Re: connecting motors

Post by High4Volts »

Mike the TYCO motor sounds like a stepper motor. What were you going to use the motors for? It may help to know.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

oops TECO motor
Mike

Post by Mike »

thats sortof what i figured. and all i really want to do is play around with a stepper motor. i have never used one before.
dnszero

Post by dnszero »

DISCLAIMER: OK, I'm still a novice so don't take what I say as gospel.<p>First, do a Google search and read up on stepper motors. Basically, there are several coils in the stepper. When one is energized the stepper turns toward it. To make it spin, you energize the coils in order, one after the other.<p>
The motor with 4 wires is a bipolar stepper motor. It has 2 distinct pairs of wires. To find out which ones go together, take a multimeter and look for continuity between wires. Once you have identified the pairs, you can start to play.<p>Put a little tape flag on the spindle so you can see where it's pointing and then take turns applying power to the pairs you idenitfied to make it move.<p>The motor with 5 wires is a unipolar stepper. It's similar to the other bipolar except that one wire is a common ground for the other 4. This allows you to power just one coil at a time (a bipolar stepper powers 2 coils at a time, left/right or top/bottom).<p>There's a lot of info available online on how to build drivers and interfaces for them... I don't have any good links, but take a look and you'll find it.
Thank God I'm not too early!
Mike

Post by Mike »

what exactly is the benefit of stepper motors?<p>why not just use a normal motor?
russlk

Post by russlk »

A normal motor has only speed control, you can't position it without a feedback system. Such a system is called a servo and is a field of study by itself. The stepper motor makes precise movements without feed back, so it is simpler, system-wise but the driving electronics is more complex.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

There are a couple of other differences. A normal motor tends to be more efficient than a stepper motor, particularly if the stepper motor is driven by a driver capable of delivering high voltage to increase stepping speed.<p>A normal motor will probably produce more mechanical power in the same motor size.<p>A stepping motor is more sensitive to an inertial load. The load inertia combined with the torque characteristics with shaft position combine to form a mechanically resonant system, which is usually poorly damped. The shaft tends to overshoot on each step, and then ring about the new position. If the stepping rate is slow enough, the motor successfully completes each step. As the rate increases, the stepping motor reaches a point where is does not step, but vibrates around the original position. This can be alleviated by starting with slow steps and then ramping up the stepping rate. At the end of the step sequence, the stepping rate may have to be ramped down also.<p>Many stepping motor applications reduce the rotational speed using a gear train. This also reduces the inertia seen by the motor by the square of the gear ratio.
High4Volts

Post by High4Volts »

Hey Mike,
I just ran across this page while looking up info for my CNC router stuff. Stepper Info here!
:)
toejam

Post by toejam »

hi Mike.
One interisting thing these stepper motors do is to make low speed generators. Try connectong a led to them using various combinations of wire connections. It may surprise you.
Mike

Post by Mike »

OK, I'll try that.<p>do you know about how much voltage and amperage they can produce?
toejam

Post by toejam »

Last time i tried it it lit up a red led up pretty bright. I hooked up a red led polorized one way and a green one the other, turn it one way green other way = green. My guess at that speed about 25 ma 2v or there abuot.
toejam

Post by toejam »

=red i meant