Board change?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Board change?

Post by Mike »

That message on the home page says they're changing the board.

Anybody know to what?

Hopefully we will get a board like phpBB or YaBB or something nice like those with a lot of features.

<small>[ March 27, 2006, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]</small>
philba

Re: Board change?

Post by philba »

I hope so. but nothing was said about the existing forum threads. moved over or go bye bye? I wouldn't put money on them being moved over.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Lets hope they have a simple "insert" picture here?
Externet

Post by Externet »

If this forum gets a facelift -which doesn't bother me- MAKE SURE the existing threads are backed up in a RECOVERABLE and REUSABLE form able to paste to the new board.

I prefer keeping this board as is instead of getting a new one without the archives.

Anyway it happens, the existing posts must be saved in CD NOW for the moment of crashing and become accessible later.
We have lost forever too many valuable discussions in the past with defunct Pop-electronics and Electronics Now forums. Not again, please, PLEASE!

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I, myself am sorry to hear of a change. Other than the difficulty of posting images, I don't know what they are aiming for. I have been on several forums and find the format on this one to be far superior to all the rest. Lets hope its not a backward step disguised in the name of progress.
Clyde Crashkop

Post by Clyde Crashkop »

Changes are seldom improvements.
Larry Lemieux

Post by Larry Lemieux »

Just so everyone knows, the board software is being changed as part of a new Nuts & Volts website that should come online in the next month or so. The current UBB software that runs the board can not be used with the new site for various reasons.

My preference was to keep the board as is, but it didn't work out that way. We ran a preliminary test about a month ago to see if the threads could be exported and then imported into the new forum. Everything seemed to work without a hitch. So, we're keeping our fingers crossed, but don't really expect any problems. I guess we'll know soon enough.

The old board will remain intact offline untill we're sure the new one is fully functional so we won't risk loosing anthing.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Originally posted by ROBERT REED:
I, myself am sorry to hear of a change. Other than the difficulty of posting images, I don't know what they are aiming for. I have been on several forums and find the format on this one to be far superior to all the rest. Lets hope its not a backward step disguised in the name of progress.
The version of UBB Classic this site uses is very resource intensive. It doesn't use an SQL database for storage, instead it uses flat files. UBB is not free, so to upgrade to the version that can handle more users would be costly.

I don't know why they're upgrading, but I suspect the once we get used to PhpBB we'll all like it.

Maybe Michael will move it onto that fast new Fedora Core server he put Servo on and get rid of this old Cobalt RAQ too. ;-) (not that I can talk, I still have an old Cobalt RAQ myself)

<small>[ March 28, 2006, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]</small>
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Maybe Michael will move it onto that fast new Fedora Core server he put Servo on and get rid of this old Cobalt RAQ too. ;-) (not that I can talk, I still have an old Cobalt RAQ myself)
Thats awesome Matt! We are actually doing that... :cool: Good looking out!
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Cool, does anyone have a little virtual screwdriver so I can remove that panel at the bottom of the webpage and we can all see how this thing works (that is what one does with a new gadget, is it not.) :wink:
philba

Post by philba »

haklesup wrote:Cool, does anyone have a little virtual screwdriver so I can remove that panel at the bottom of the webpage and we can all see how this thing works (that is what one does with a new gadget, is it not.) :wink:
well, you can go to the phpBB site and read the code since it's open source. Here's the virtual screw driver: http://www.phpbb.com/ lol

ps: my first post with the new set-up.

[edit] things seem to actually work.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

I don't feel that the new format is as pleasant on the eyes as the old one. This is one of the major things I liked about the old one, almost as if you were flopped on the sofa reading a book. It does have some nice features though and more promised down the road. I lost my identity when they switched over but michael was most helpful in getting it back. One question thogh, is how do you identify new posts? The logos all look alike.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I believe the little paper with an arrow symbol is the new post indicator
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

You are right Mike. This is the first time it has appeared on my end. Also the little sheets now have a pale blue color (Although not very visible)Hope its there to stay.
Newz2000

Post by Newz2000 »

Michael Kaudze wrote:
Thats awesome Matt! We are actually doing that... :cool: Good looking out!
Brilliant migration. It seems to have worked perfectly. Good work!