Caller ID

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
naljta

Caller ID

Post by naljta »

I am looking into building a Caller ID box with a really LARGE display. I know I can purchase premade displays, but I want the challenge of building it. I am looking at a couple of chips and need some input from someone who has already done this. The only chips that have been able to find are no longer being produced. <p>The couple of chips I have found are the
HT9032
MC145460<p>Any ideas where else to look?<p>Thanks,
Nevin
russlk

Re: Caller ID

Post by russlk »

It has been a few years since I bought them, but NTE has 7 segment LEDs 1 inch high, part no: NTE3080.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

good idea... does anyone have a caller id with large display?
i know a lot of people with bad eyes that would love to have one...
preferably 1/2" or larger digits and a back light..
i cannot find them no where...
any leads are appreciated :D
naljta

Post by naljta »

You can get large CID here, http://www.ahernstore.com/caller-id.html.<p>They also have Voice CID and other interesting items.<p>Nevin
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Chips like this HT95168 are fully integrated and include the LCD driver on-chip. All you need to do is select an appropriate LCD display and your practically done. You can find all sorts of LCD displays and you may be able to adapt an LED display if you build a buffer to boost the drive current.<p>If you're trying to build a less integrated version, that would be more challenging since those chip sets probably are obsolete.<p>For a more flexible display like a 640x480 monochrome LCD, you probably need to put a PIC or some kind or LCD uController to input the LCD signals from the CID chip and output to pins on a large Graphical LCD display. Then you can write firmware to translate the simple logic outputs into large stunning graphic characters.<p>Good luck keeping the cost down though. You may find it cheaper to cannabalize the parts from a working CID unit than to obtain the chips if samples and small quantities are not available.
Michael-love-electronics

Post by Michael-love-electronics »

Hi, haklesup <p> Can I use this chip for my alarm project.?
Can this chip store preset numbers.? if not,
What can I use instead.?<p> Thanks :D
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Maybe, I haven't read the datasheet enough. It does seem to have a way to attach a keypad for dialing and does store numbers gotten from CID but I am not sure if you can store your own numbers or how you would trigger the circuit to take the phone off hook and start dialing to say nothing about dialing other numbers after that.<p>Check out the selection guide (link on same page as other chip). Look at the Communication category, they have several parts to investigate on your own. They also have multiple voice recording chips you can use for the outgoing message part of your alarm project.