GPS Tracking Device

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jhirasaki

GPS Tracking Device

Post by jhirasaki »

I'm looking for a small GPS tracking device that can run off of a 9v or AA batt. that I can connect to a PC and download the data.
L. Daniel Rosa

Re: GPS Tracking Device

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

A lot of cellular telephones have them. There is a problem getting the data though.
Will

Post by Will »

From an outfit named DeLorme (In main I think - I could find the full address if you needed it) you can buy a device named Earthmate for about $125 which is complete with antenna and designed to be used with a lap top in a vehicle - just exactly what you desire ? Of course you can buy GPS devices (Magellan etc) with a serial output for much the same or less but you may have to play games with software etc. The DeLorme device comes complete with the tracking software to continuously show your position on the laptop. Hope this helps
BB
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The DeLorme offering is pretty good but you have to use it with a PC. It looks a little like a mouse and has no user interface which keeps the price down (but the included software just jacks it right back up).<p>The little Garmin eTrex has several models and the basic one can be found for <$100. With Serial and USB cables, it is a good choice because it can be used without the PC. The better models have built in maps etc. I bet you could get a used one on eBay for a steal<p>Magellin has caught up to Garmin in most of the classes of equipment, so it would be worthwhile to check them out as well.<p>Most recievers will work with most software mapping programs but be aware that the Garmin software is expensive and not compatible with other brands. Look to a map company like DeLorme or Rand McNally or any other map maker for good software.<p>The GPS capability in telephones is incomplete. It is not a full GPS reciever capable of independent operation (if it was, the battery life on phones would probably stink) It needs the cell network to work corectly and I know of no phones in the US that actually display position. I have heard that phones in some Asian countries do take advantage of this technology, thank the ACLU for preventing it in the US.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Are you wanting a GPS that keeps track of where it has been and the data is down loaded later or do you want something that you can connect to a computer and keep track of where the computer and the device is at in "real time"?<p>If you want the latter, than there are a couple GPS options. First there are the standard GPS units, complete with displays, that can be connected via cable to a computer. I have seen these going for under $100 on clearance. You can also find new ones from about $150 on up. But not all of these are computer compatible. <p>Then there are PCMCIA cards for laptops. These look like a "pregnant" wireless NIC or a really big PCMCIA card. These come as both PCMCIA cards and COMPACT FLASH cards. The latter can be used with a PDA or an adapter can be purchased that will convert the the FLASH connector to a PCMCIA connector.<p>The "GPS MOUSE" is another option. These come in both RS-232 and USB configurations. The beauty of these devices is that you can locate the unit (with its built-in antenna) away from the computer on the dashboard of your car, airplane (not good for IFR!!!), etc. and keep the laptop on the seat next to you. These are powered by the USB port and use a memory capacitor to keep the memory alive. But from a cold start the claim is the GPS will aquire its position in 45 seconds or less. <p>Then there are the "bluetooth" GPS units. The GPS unit is a self contained unit and requires its own power. The interface to the laptop, PDA, etc is via Bluetooth signal. I don't know much about these.<p>There is a somewhat small "hacking" group that tap into the OnSTAR system now being placed in almost all GM cars and many other vehicles. The GPS portion is a Motolola embedded GPS card that is widely documented and supported. The controller portion is custom to the car manufacturer (for unlocking doors, detecting air bag deployment, etc.). The phone portion is nothing more than a cellular phone (CDMA I believe) that interfaces with the Verizon phone network. The GPS portion can be easily modified and still keep the OnSTAR installed. Or you can get an OnSTAR from a wrecked car (if you find a reasonable junk yard) and pull the GPS unit and install as you see fit.<p>But I think I know what you REALLY want. I know of several versions of these units but they all are about the same thing; a GPS "tattle tale". They were first used on semi trucks to keep track of freight (yeah, right). Then car rental companies started using them in conjunction with in car street map services. They could help renters find their way around unfamiliar towns etc. (I believe it was Hertz that used them to keep track of renters speeding and would send them a fine. This did not go over well and the practice was soon stopped.) There was one system that could be hidden in a car so you could keep track of your teen drivers driving locations, speeding, etc. If disabled it set off an alarm that would tell what happened to it as well. <p>
There is a version I've seen of this type of device to keep track of small children. The device is constructed inside a kid's school bag. See here:
http://www.safetyandsecuritycenter.com/ ... octra.html<p>Yes, it is all built into a backpack. But there is even one better; one built into a "watch."<p>The "Kid Watch" is designed to be locked on the wrist of a kid (the child, or possible abductors cannot remove it). They also have models for Alzheimer patients. The device is a GPS locator and pager in one. A button can be pressed to call 911. You can determine position by Internet or by phone.<p>The only downside to the last two is that they both require an initial purchase and a monthly subscription.<p>In addition to the Kid Tracker devices they have even smaller ones for tracking pets.<p>If you want to put a GPS Data Logger on someone or something and know after the fact where the GPS (and thus the person) had been, this is a bit of a questionable practice, especially if they don't know about it. To put a GPS Data Logger into operation is quite simple. The unit either comes with a GPS already configured to store its position or uses a GPS Mouse, like outlined above, connected to a data logging device. Because I don't want to be implicated in helping someone secretly track someone else, I will not post information about GPS Data Logger. If you happen to find the right words to search for on the Internet to learn how to use a GPS Data Logger, that is your business.<p>[ May 12, 2004: Message edited by: Jolly Roger ]</p>
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Daggs

Post by Daggs »

Great Post, Jolly Roger!!<p>I give you the Golden Nut, so to speak...
Casual Hero
Combat Gynecologist
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Daggs:

Casual Hero
Combat Gynecologist
<hr></blockquote><p>Interesting Signature. What does it mean? It seems to have a more significant meaning than presented on face value.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!