Show off

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JPKNHTP

Show off

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Robert Reed

Re: Show off

Post by Robert Reed »

Do you mean with pictures and basic specs ?
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Well, since you ask I'll tell you what I'm up to.

The furthest along is (nominally) a tuning standard for guitar (which I don't have). Most of the firmware is written. I thought I was going to have a few buttons with resistors all going to an ADC input, but the hardware would need "tuning" before I could commit the code. So I decided to use six buttons between three pins in a 'charlieplex' configuration. It seemed like a good idea for future projects too.

I haven't yet made the prototype to interface with projects on the breadboard though. Aside from that, the display routines are working. The menu driven core appears to function, though without the full array of buttons I can't be sure. I even have a voltage reference that is sampled WRT supply voltage, and a math subroutine is called to determine the battery voltage.

The output is an R2R ladder on port B, but I don't have a buffer or low pass filter on it yet. The idea behind it is to add a value to a 24 bit sum, the top 8 of which are used to retreive a value from a table which is a fair approximation of a sine wave.

Another on the list is a message wand. The only way mine is different from others is that I plan to use a nine pixel tall font and an external memory. I also plan to make it capable of queueing two messages, one each for sweep left and right.

On down the list. Since I came to the conclusion that I'm not going to find free software for a parts minimal I2C communicator for the parallel port, I'll just have to make one for the serial port and use hyperterminal.

That'll have to do for now, I don't want to swamp the thread just yet.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Mine to date was a SOM ETX Board...

http://www.sambuchi.net/Work_Designs/Ba ... eboard.htm

check it out if you like
Dah Big Dog

Post by Dah Big Dog »

Hey Sambuchi,

I am impressed. Who did all your PCB work?
milestag

Post by milestag »

Okay, here is my current project (well, it's really more of an "obsession").

http://lasertagparts.com/mtdesign.htm

It's a full-blown DIY Laser Tag system (think of playing a live-action HALO game) It's based on a PIC18F2525 and coded in PicBasic PRO. All source code and schematics can be downloaded.

This is already 3+ years in the making and still alot more features to be added. Yes, it works very well with ranges beyond 200 yards. I recently started selling PC boards, and preprogrammed chips, etc to help offset my expenses (and save my marriage).
Jim Robertson
http://www.lasertagparts.com
DIY Laser Tag Systems
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i am working on making a 2"led temp display. the temp modual is done. i just have to get the display working right for the 2" tall led display.
see "stuck on stupid" once thats done, then i will be a happy camper.

my last project was the 217 led clock i made from scratch using only 4017 ic's
i'd post fotos if there was a easy way to do it here. but i have got no way to do this. :(
perhaps one day there will be a way to post fotos here inthe forum.
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

I have been describing my USMPS progress on my switchmode group on Yahoo. The USMPS is a fairly simple circuit built around the 74C14 (CD40106).

I started out with simple PWM and have advanced to zero voltage switching, ZVS. Instead of using more complex constant frequency phase shift modulation which uses a full bridge circuit, it uses the half bridge approach in which the frequency varies according to the load.

I have also built some experimental flyback USMPS circuits employing ZVS and am presently working on quasi half bridge and full bridge ZVS USMPS circuits, all to be powered from a 12v supply. I haven't discussed the last two ideas yet though.

switchmode

<small>[ March 24, 2006, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: Joseph ]</small>
Mike

Post by Mike »

Here's my current project - or actually just finished project. It's a high power audio amplifier based on the LM3886 chip. It uses 4 of these chips, two per channel in parallel mode.

The specs of the project are:

50WPC - 8-ohm
70WPC - 4-ohm
120WPC - 2-ohm

Those specs are in continuous power - RMS and Peak power is much higher than that.

Here's some pictures of the project in the case I built along with the project. These pictures are not the best quality, and the finish on the project is smooth and shiny (it's piano black lacquer) and you don't really see any of the imperfections. Also the heatsinks are bright gold:

MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

I built quite a few things, but dont have many pics of that stuff.
Maybe i should take a few.

In the mean time, i started giving an online Electrical Engineering
course aimed at circuit analysis, so if you're interested in advancing
your understanding that might help. Most people dropped out after
we hit simultaneous equations, but it's not that hard really.
Plenty of exercises and LED circuits.
It's here:
http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53985

LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Sambuchi

Post by Sambuchi »

Dah Big Dog wrote:Hey Sambuchi,

I am impressed. Who did all your PCB work?
I did the PCB layout myself... It took a long time "about a month" If I had to do it over, I would have asked someone with a CAD program to lay it out..

The design and concept of the SOM baseboard is simple and fun.. Theres alot you can do with it!

I notice you are from Buffalo.. GO BILLS ! :D
JPKNHTP

Post by JPKNHTP »

-JPKNHTP
-God Bless