Making a Backup copy of a DVD

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Tparker

Making a Backup copy of a DVD

Post by Tparker »

I have a auto repair manual on a DVD that contains approx. 6.3 GB of information. Because of the cost of the DVD I would like to make a backup copy. I have a DVD burner but was under the impression that a standard data DVD would only hold betwenn 4 and 5 gigs. Am I out of luck on making a copy?
Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Re: Making a Backup copy of a DVD

Post by Michael Kaudze »

Hey,
Try this site.. It has helped me in the past.<p>http://www.allformp3.com/dvd-copy-software/dvdxcopy.htm
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Mike

Post by Mike »

is it a DVD movie? or computer disc???<p>if its a movie, use DVDXCOPY Express. it will compress the DVD to fit on a standard 4.7GB disc.
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

No its a data disc, no video. Drawings, wiring diagrams, specs, trouble shooting, repair and replace, etc. It covers all Ford vehicles from 1996-2002. Has same info. and layout as the large paper repair manuals. My sons somewhat of a computer guru and he says its a dual layer disc. He's checking his DVD software files to see if we could put the info. on 2 standard single layer DVD's, but I am afraid the program would not run off of 2 DVD's. He says the only way he knows of is to set up a "virtual drive" on my hardisk and copy it to that.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Dual layer DVD burners are still not main stream. They will be soon as they were supposed to be out this past April. You can still copy all the data off this disc to the hard drive then burn it back to two DVD discs. But this may not be exactly what you want. As it stands now you may have to wait if you want an EXACT copy.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

It sounds like your manual is mostly text and dwg files. Why not zip it?
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

I shot off that last reply without really thinking. Im sure your document is not in the native format (MS Word, ACAD etc.) and is probably a pdf document built from jpeg or tiff files and other non-compressible type files.
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

It seems to be mostly .arc files.