Microphone to Amplifier to Speaker

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Milcon

Microphone to Amplifier to Speaker

Post by Milcon »

Does anybody know of a simple design or kit for an amplifier that I can plug my Radio Shack microphone into and hear my voice on a speaker connected to it? The microphone is just a simple one used normally for plugging into a tape recorder.<p>I would appreciate any information on this. <p>Thank you.
VernGraner

Re: Microphone to Amplifier to Speaker

Post by VernGraner »

If you don't mind not building it, there is a nifty little amplifier offered by halted electronics (a resident advertiser for N&V) located here: Mini Amplifier for $19.95 It's less than $20.00, it's 30 watts and it's stereo.
--
Vern Graner
motwnbro

Post by motwnbro »

radio shack sells a clip on amplifer that is sort of a hearing aid. it is one unit with 2 mics internally. what i did was remove the mics on the circuit board then wired an external mic jack to the inputs on the c.b. use a computer headphone with a boom mic 4 hands free use. note the internal mics picked up all the rustling of the shirt it was clipped 2. installing the jack is a tight fit. have fun.
Milcon

Post by Milcon »

I found this kit. Will I be able to plug the mike directly into it or will I need a preamp or some other extra stuff? I have the mike and a 2 inch 8 ohm speaker already.<p>http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... /ck701.htm
motwnbro

Post by motwnbro »

hlreed

Post by hlreed »

You cannot hear yourself with a microphone to speaker. The mike also hears the speaker and you will only get a scream. To hear your voice, you need to record it and play it back. You do not need an amplifier, you need a recorder.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
gadgeteer

Post by gadgeteer »

Buy an LM386 amplifier chip. $2 from Radio Shack, <$1 elsewhere. Works from 4 volts to about 15 (6 or 9 is ideal). Very simple---no extra parts (except for the 200µF speaker capacitor), it has a gain of 20. Add one more capacitor, it has a gain of 200. An additional capacitor + resistor for bias, one potentiometer for volume control. I just put one in my "call-waiting-detector" to compensate for my lousy low-level-phone line, it works perfectly...<p>http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM386.html#Datasheet