where to get relay's

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
myp71

where to get relay's

Post by myp71 »

Hi,<p>Does anyone know where to get cheap automotive style relay's?? And holders?? :D
jollyrgr

Re: where to get relay's

Post by jollyrgr »

Autos have many types of relays and the wiring harnesses. It depends on what you are wanting to do and the type of relays you want.<p>For starters, you can get brand new relays at almost any store that sells auto parts including Wal-Mart, Target, KMart and so on. Look in the automotive accessories and car stereos area. Specifically you are looking for the relays sold for the "off road" high powered lights and fog lamps.<p>Radio Shack sells a standard high power automotive relay. http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog%5Fn ame=CTLG&category%5Fname=CTLG%5F011%5F002%5F013%5F000&product%5Fid=275%2D226<p>This is a so called "standard" relay for add on lights. Some cars, specifically GM cars, use a "high speed blower motor" relay. This part will set you back about $20 in the auto parts stores. At RS this is only $6.<p>Lastly is your friendly "pull it yourself" junk yard. The junk places that require minimum dollar amounts and only pull the parts for you should be avoided. The ones that allow you to pull your own parts and don't gouge are fantastic. Look for a car that has been picked over and is about to be crushed for scrap metal. Relays are something most people do not go for and the car will likely have them still. For some reason salvage yard employees treat cars fresh to the junk yard better than the ones that have been picked over. You might get a deal on the relays. Ask first!<p>Another choice is to go to your local high school (if they have an autos program) and ask for relays from cars they are about to send off to the junk yard.<p>Hope this helps.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Thanks a lot!<p>Yeah friendly junkyard is the clue.One that doesn't charge admission just to get inside and look around :mad: Anyway I use to get them from McM electronics, maybe I could check there again.But I think I'll check out the other things that you listed first.<p>Thanks
Ryan
Edd

Post by Edd »

I too am a great aficionado of…”. pull it yer’ self are us “.. auto parts
I also might add that if you want some new virgin contact assembly automotive GM “cube” relay units . Spec’d at 12VDC @~ 150 ma coil hold in , don’t overlook:<p>http://www.bgmicro.com/pdf/page25.pdf
NewGM Relays….99cents.<p>
73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)
Tparker

Post by Tparker »

Not sure what you mean by "cheap", but www.waytekwire.com carries a complete line of Bosch automotive relays. They have them in different mounting config., pc board, mounting tabs, plug/socket, etc. Current handling ranges from 20 amps-75 amps Here is a sample page
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Thanks to you both. :D<p>[ May 07, 2004: Message edited by: My-P71 ]</p>
Edd

Post by Edd »

Well if you ever need any of Billy’s (BG Micro) stuff or need an eyeball inspection or further info/ clarification on a product just let me know . I pass by within ½ block of him each day picking up the gd from school. Seems like some other companys <handling> fee or minimum order approaches the logic of “Just give them the printer......we’ll make our real money on inkjet or laser cartridge sales”.
I would mail item(s) to you for postage , which should be only a pittance from “Arlen”, (home of Hank Hill) to Was Legas.
PS I also pass by Super Mega Mart.<p>73’s de Edd
myp71

Post by myp71 »

Thank you very much That's nice of you to do that.<p>Someone that agrees with me too That's even better.
:( and too many smiley's I'm just happy today.
<p>Thanks a lot Edd<p>Ryan