Driving tft display

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
daedalus0

Driving tft display

Post by daedalus0 »

Greetings.

I apologize if this is in the wrong spot but I have found nothing related to what I want to ask.

I would like to know if it's possible to make something homebrew to drive a TFT display.For instance, one that I have removed from a Sanyo 5500 cell phone. I've been searching google for weeks on pinouts for any part of this phone but to no avail.

I've also taken out a camera. I would love to figure out a way to drive that as well for a robotics project of mine but once again, no pinouts. (It's part of the phone.)

Any advice would be appreciated. Also any success stories in driving any tft displays would be helpful as well. :D
Newz2000

Re: Driving tft display

Post by Newz2000 »

I've taken apart a few cell phones for parts... it's incredibly hard to get specs for the parts.

The only things useful I've ended up salvaging are the vibrator motors, microphones and the batteries.

For LCDs you need a controller chip. Invariably there's one on there somewhere, but good luck figuring out what it is. I have this cool color screen and the controller chip is actually embedded right in the plastic ribbon cable. The pins are so small, that you have to use a magnifying glass just to figure out there's pins there. No markings on the chip what-so-ever.

If you had a box of these, I know you could suduce a hacker on one of these LCD message boards, but if you're just trying to find documentation for a single display, you are likely in for a difficult experience.
daedalus0

Re: Driving tft display

Post by daedalus0 »

Aye, I figured as much.... Well I'm going to try to look up the ICs that are labeled and hope for some luck. Thanks for the input. Still any any advice appreciated.