Research paper

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
haklesup

Re: Research paper

Post by haklesup » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:35 pm

I have no doubt that if PCs and the internet had been available when I went to high school (and before), I would have gotten better grades. The computer now allows me to express my thoughts quickly and access information almost instantly, far less effort than used to be required. My handwriting held me back for so long.<p>For that nanotech paper you plan. Start off with a good definition. This term has been beaten to death by the media and by science. I see it now applied to technologies I would have labeled Chemistry (stain repellsant for my pants, really) in the past. Starting with this wide perspective will lead your paper into electronic sensors (accelerometers), electronic displays (DLP), mechanics, chemistry, materials, the military or whichever way you like to subdivide the topic. You can easily get a page from each area you explore.<p>I have preached this message before and that is: OUTLINE Outline outline. Break the main topic into many sub-topics then rearrange them until you have a logical flow from your intro to the conclusion. Throw out subtopics that do not support the conclusion you are leading to (this is not a scientific report). Finally arrange each sub topic so that as you conclude each section it leads into the next.

terri

Post by terri » Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:20 pm

C'mon, haklseup, waddaya tryin' to do, foment clear thinking?<p>Sheesh! What a rebel you must be!
terri wd0edw

haklesup

Post by haklesup » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:19 pm

I hadda look it up<p>foment \foh-MENT\, transitive verb:
To nurse to life or activity; to encourage; to incite; to instigate; -- often in a bad sense. <p>re·bel intr.v. re·belled, re·bel·ling, re·bels
To refuse allegiance to and oppose by force an established government or ruling authority. To resist or defy an authority or a generally accepted convention. <p>If the established govt is full of slackers and the accepted convention is fuzzy thinking, then yes, I am a Rebel

terri

Post by terri » Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:35 am

Well, like uh, y'know. Like um sarcasm and y'know, all like that um y' know junk. Like y' see what I'm sayin'? Know um like what I mean, like, y'know?<p>(Paraphrased from one of the products of our modern school system.)<p>I'm glad you're challenging that with your outline paradigm.<p>I. Y'know
A. Like
1. um
a. sarcasm
II. All like that
A. Like
1. Junk
III. Y' see what I'm sayin'?
IV. Know what I mean?
V. Y' know?<p>Hm. The system doesn't like the spacing I put in for the outline structure. Oh, well. Y'know what I mean? See what I'm sayin'?<p>[ February 17, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw