Charging 12V Battery while riding Bicycle

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

Re: Charging 12V Battery while riding Bicycle

Post by cato »

Thanks again for your input.<p>For info on how it was eventually worked out, see page 57 February 2005 QST (well, page 58, Fig.4 actually).<p>
...and my brother would appreciate your vote :cool: : <p>http://www.arrl.org/members-only/qstvote.html?pidx=0<p>
73<p>[ January 22, 2005: Message edited by: cato ]<p>[ January 22, 2005: Message edited by: cato ]</p>
upsmaster

Post by upsmaster »

parallel two 6 volt batterys for charging then series them for 12 volts discharging<p> joe
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

One tiny stepper motor put out around 30 plus volts, problem solved for any voltage.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Chris, the only experimentation with steppers that I've done is to electrically interconnect two healthy identical ones together to let one drive the other like an old synchro-servo system (and that was just for amusement) and to use one as a quadrature generator replacing a rotary encoder (more serious work). It would make sense that if one can drive another, they must be able to output a healthy current. But when just playing with them as possible input devices, I noticed that a big one can output a waveform in the hundreds of volts p-p but are quickly quenched with a load.<p>So, since I haven't played with them as power generators and don't have one handy at the moment to experiment with, what kind of current/power is a hefty stepper capable of?<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Dean a few months back in NV there was a simple article showing the stepper motor used as a generator, into a super cap, for a hand crank type flash light. <p>The four diode bridges into a cap give it the load and like a alternator and battery, it becomes [semi] self regulating. <p>For a small battery, Even though the voltage can peak quite high, the current and voltage "follow" the batteries command of X ohms internal resistance = a normal trickle charge. <p>5-1/4 Large floppy drives which are now almost obsolete have great little stepper motors making finding one pretty easy.