120 v0lt pm dc motor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
zotdoc

120 v0lt pm dc motor

Post by zotdoc »

I bought a 120 volt 2hp pm motor complete with speed control. On it's label, it says treadmill duty. I wanted to use this on a wood lathe that I have so I could use the variable speed and not have to fool with changing belts. I intend to enclose the motor in loose fitting plastic or 2wooden container to keep the dust out. I'm nervous about the "treadmill duty" label. Any body have the lowdown on just what that means - can I use this motor for the woodturning purpose?
dacflyer

Re: 120 v0lt pm dc motor

Post by dacflyer »

ya you can use it easily..
the treadmill duty thing is more or less meaning that its rated for continous duty..
some people walk a long time onthem things, and some are heavy weights :p so the motor is under heavy use all the time.
and if i rember right..that type of motor is a brush type running on DC after the motor controller.. plus the controller is a constant current regulator..it hill have great torque even at low RPMs.. i have gotten many motors from tread mills. for little or nothing, from the thrift stores... they sometimes will not work for a minor reason, and sometimes will they will give them away for free..
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Geez!! 2 hp sounds like a massive motor for a treadmill! Is it for one of those used to exercise race horses?

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

2 hp might not be enough for my sister in law
philba

Post by philba »

Originally posted by usteservice:
2 hp might not be enough for my sister in law
roflmao!!!

I think Treadmill Duty is a marketing way of avoiding a real rating. When I was shopping for a treadmill, all the expert guides said to avoid units with treadmill duty labels on the motors since there is no standardization. iirc, they used an exercise duty cycle to modify horse power rating. It's probably a fine motor but maybe not really 2 HP.

I'd put it on and see what happens.
techie2

Post by techie2 »

Zotdoc,

How big is this motor? Diameter, length, shaft size? And are the brushes on the back end, away from the shaft?

I am looking for a PM motor to use on a doggie dryer -- known as a "cage dryer". Mine is an old one made by Double-K (Greece). Model: Challenger 550. They no longer support it. The communtator bars are worn down so far that a motor shop tried to turn the armature, but it ended up junk...
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

the motor is about 8 inches long and 6 inches in diameter. the shaft is about three inches long and is 5/8 diameter. The brushes are at the end away from the shaft. It's GE type b06222. I'm going to try it on my lathe and see how it does!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

It should work great.

My mini lathe has a similar setup, much smaller, and the only problem it has is at real slow speeds it jerks a little. Mind you this is Very slow.

But just above that RPM level it gets smoother and smoother the faster you spin it.