WANTED: Cheap dot-matrix LEDs

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
chessman

WANTED: Cheap dot-matrix LEDs

Post by chessman »

I am wanting to buy some Dot-matrix LED displays for cheap, does anybody have anything?<p>~Kyle
rionredinger

Re: WANTED: Cheap dot-matrix LEDs

Post by rionredinger »

Would you be willing to use old dot matrix printers, and tear them apart so you can get what you need out of them? Or do you want just the LED's? If you want the dot matrix printers let me know and I can get them for you. You will have to pay shipping of course.
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

Could you provide more information? Matrix size (e.g. 5X7), color, display height, single- or multi-digit, &c. Also quantity needed. Thanks.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Chris Foley:<p>all the specifics of the displays really depend on price. The application is for an animated sign board display for my senior project in school.<p>Quantity needed is 10, color is red or green, matrix size is 5x7 or 5x8, I would prefer display height of 2" or so, but again, it will all depend on price. It doesn't matter between single or multi digit, but if 5 multi-digit displays are cheaper than 10 single-digit displays than I'd do it that way.<p>Please email me at [email protected] to get the fastest response.<p>
latirobotics:<p>Thanks for the offer, but I'm really only after the LEDs. Plus, if I ever do need to rip into a dot-matrix printer I have a spare one in the attic that I could use. Thanks anyway though.<p>Thanks everyone,
~Kyle
Chris Foley

Post by Chris Foley »

Sorry - can't help you with 10 of these. There are better deals out there, but you might want to either try Jameco (surplus components that usually work), or if you're really doing the churchmouse thing, buy LEDs by the bushel and build what you want out of discrete LEDs on 10 scraps of perfboard (see post WANTED - Red LEDs in Hundred Quantity). Jameco has several 2" displays for $4.95 each, and also has a small one for $1.95. You might want to try that one. Here's the link:<p> Jameco #11890 $1.95 ea.
http://www.jameco.com/jameco/Products/ProdDS/118906.pdf
This spec sheet will show you how to wire one up if you're rolling your own.
The important thing is to get something in quickly.
Cardinal Rule #2 of Engineering: Hurry Early!<p> Happy hunting.<p>[ February 18, 2003: Message edited by: Chris Foley ]</p>
chessman

Post by chessman »

Thanks for the replies, I chose to go the individual LED route - much more impressive looking to see 500 LEDs than 10 displays :p
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Youll be saying something else after you've finished soldering 500 of them :D <p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
chessman

Post by chessman »

Good thing I have a couple months to solder them all :cool: <p>Besides, where's the fun in using displays anyway??
rionredinger

Post by rionredinger »

let me know how many you burn up with the soldering gun/iron/pencil.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Kyle,
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

Kyle,<p>Did you already arrange for some PCBs for this? If so the soldering could be pretty easy. I don't know if a solder pot is available to you, but it will answer your needs.<p>Dan
chessman

Post by chessman »

Dan,<p>No, I don't have a PCB for it, I'm debating between point-to-point wiring and wire-wrapping.<p>Even with a PCB, I don't have a solder pot, although the process would still be extremely simplified.<p>~Kyle