Ways to do things

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
perfectbite

Ways to do things

Post by perfectbite »

I worked as a deck engineer machinist aboard a 2 boiler room DoD ship for a while and as the watch engineers would come off their watches they would swing by the machine shop to see what the dayshift (namely me) had going on. Each and every one of them would suggest a different way to accomplish the work I had underway. Their input was an eye-opening education. I discovered that there were many different AND equally effective ways to accomplish the same end even with just what was on hand. (On a ship out on the ocean, there's no sending the apprentice off to the industrial supply store to get exactly what is needed).
haklesup

Re: Ways to do things

Post by haklesup »

So you're saying there is more than one way to skin a cat (and no one on board liked cats). Hmmmm..... ;)
jwax

Post by jwax »

I agree Perfectbite (retired dentist?)!
For common tasks, there's many solutions, but as correct solutions become less and less, the complexity grows rapidly! Then comes the complication of picking the "best" solution. Is best cheapest? Or quickest? Or coolest?
When I'm miffed for a solution, I always ask the oldest guy around what he thinks! :)
WA2RBA
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

You work on machine shop on a large boat, bunch of people exchange ideas for improvement. The experimental machinist has a feel for making something.<p>In industry the engineer works with different technical people and after the product is made the engineer stays and the technical people go.<p>The machinist cannot find work and loses time discussing donut shop philosophy, case in point that somebody has to do marine maintenance but the occupation is highly seasonal.
perfectbite

Post by perfectbite »

Dimbulb, So, are you saying that Plato's academy at Athens was more like a Starbucks than a Dunkin' Donuts?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

My father-in-law was a machinist for "Mac" in St. Louis (now Boeing). There were no alternative ways with him. His way was the only way, his opinion was the only opinion, etc. Unfortunately, you have that end of the spectrum, too, and those kind of folks can really gum up the works. Mac increased their production by 2% and their stock went up 3/8 when he retired.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.