b-2 transmitter?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ali020

b-2 transmitter?

Post by ali020 »

does anyone have any information on a "b-2 transmitter?" i know it was used in world war II and used crystals. i am in a desperate hunt for any info, especially a visual of the piece.
Edd

Re: b-2 transmitter?

Post by Edd »

http://www.wlhoward.com/photo33.htm
“Vell we yost got in a fresh shipment this morning” not to good for wear though, as you might see.
Seems like that was a covert unit and usually sending crypto messages. And back in those days
crystal control was the order of the day since you would want a stable reliable transmission of your
messages. Crystal frequency hopping was permissible though.
73's de Edd
[email protected] ........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;)
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

The B2 was indeed used in WW2 as suggested by Ed. It was issued, I believe, by the SOE to agents working in enemy territory. <p>I had one of these when I was in the Falklands in the 60s (VP8GB). It was c.w. only and had plug-in coils for different bands. <p>It had "done the rounds" and been passed on from one amateur operator to another when I was out there. For all I kow it may still be in use. <p>It might be worth while getting in touch with the VP8 community and asking. Its owner might take its photo for you!.<p>Other than that I suppose you've tried Googling for it?<p>Regards.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

Whoops.. I sent in my response before following Edd's link.
ali020

Post by ali020 »

thanks guys for the help. edd, that pic was great. you wouldn't happen to have any others? i'm looking now for a visual on the crystals it used, specifically what they looked like and where they were in the transmitter. again, thanks for replies - i appreciate it.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Allison:
Check out this contact and see if he can help you or network thru his intellegence contacts.<p>LTC William L. Howard
THE WILLIAM L. HOWARD ORDNANCE TECHNICAL INTELLIGENCE MUSEUM
E-mail [email protected]
Telephone (727) 585-7756<p>Or maybe David can fill you in on that data, as he had one in his hands.......real time.<p>73's de Edd
;)
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

Hi Allison,<p>The crystals were in a rather large rectangular holders measuring around 1-1/2 to 2" by about 1-1/4" by 1/2". The two pins were spaced around 3/4" apart. <p>They were easy to take apart and I did try to shift the frequency of a few using auto valve grinding paste on a sheet of glass. (Only one survived!)<p>I had one favourite crystal at 7.0005 MHz, just inside the cw end of the 40m band (and it doubled nicely to 20.)
sigint33

Post by sigint33 »

The crystals were the fundamental type although they could be doubled, they had a bakelite case with a metal front cover that was held on by 4 small screws, I tried changing a couple myself using Ajax on a mirror with water, and as with David only 1 survived - you might still be able to find them through surplus outlets.
ali020

Post by ali020 »

thanks david and signit - the descriptions were terrific. would you guys happen to have any photos of these crystals in their containers? i desperately need a visual of what these things look like for a book i'm working on. thanks again!
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

No, sorry allison, I haven't got any photos. <p>I would be surprised if Google didn't come to the rescue if you have the time and patience .....<p>Regards.
bridgen

Post by bridgen »

Just had a quick Google myself. you might find this site interesting http://www.qsl.net/g4bxd/
Edd

Post by Edd »

Allison:
It has been so many years that I had forgotten the designated crystal holder number prefixes and their numbers , having used the HC series since Korean war times but below is some info for U.
I never had any trouble in my Xtal grinds as I was familiar with the limited amount of variance that was permissible. Also I see no one mentioned the other variance procedure, to lower its frequency a bit by pencil lead rubbings on the side apexes of the blank or also solder rubbings. That’s a modifiable procedure.<p>http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/d ... /xtals.htm
How An Xtal is Made, etc<p>Or for your pics look at all of the data from the old master ..Bliley. all thru its site references or for your desired pics…look at:<p>http://www.bliley.net/XTAL /
Look at the above home page and then look at the left at miscellaneous and at its bottom you will be offered vintage products at the bottom , go to it and then get that page and go to the bottom of it where you will be offered a zoom option…do it. That Xmitter will have an array of xtals on it. You are interested in the HT series on the front row. That’s it.<p>73's de Edd
sigint33

Post by sigint33 »

Ed,<p>Actually all of my altered crystals oscillated, but using 2 of the 3 I got complaints of spurious emissions from my Knight-kit T150 transmitter, (from the guy down the street running a 2KW Collins rig on SSB, I should have complained to him!).
Edd

Post by Edd »

Allison:
And finally…maybe?
Well , also noticing your additional query as to the placement of the xtals (crystals) in the unit I could only surmise the following:
I can see that the unit is NOT a combined fabrication, utilizing the combination of the xmitter/receiver pair of the SSTR 1 Transmitter/SSTR 5 Receiver as per:<p>http://www.wlhoward.com/photo36.htm<p>In this photo we have the continuously Tunable SSTR 5A Receiver in the foreground and its companion SSTR 1 xmitter centered just to its rear. On your left there is an Old Silly Scope of recurrent sweep mode design …say…of…..Post Neanderthal / Pre Cro Magnon vintage. On the right, in the plastic bag is a moldy/musty headset with stiff cabling and brittle insulation ,with an overally reminiscent, permeating odor of carbolic acid/phenol/formaldehyde.
Back to:
http://www.wlhoward.com/photo33.htm <p>Now, on the B2 proper it seems to be in 4 pieces. The left side quadrant housing I might guess to be for storage/accessories. The center cluster of two units has a separation just below center line. On the top unit top left corner a tuning knob/switch with a knurled screw terminal both above and below it. Next to it ..logically a xmitter tuning meter..a multiple ganged pushbutton assembly below it.switching in different tests/readings/functions of the above meter ??.Then with two tuning knobs below the gang and then one more tuning knob to the right of the meters. Right top center resembles the final transmitter tuner/transmatch assembly to resonate to a long wire antenna or even a set of bedsprings in a pinch. Far right top corner notice a recessed 2 contact reddish brown bakelite connector for the ant output and ground ? .Bottom right corner notice the power wiring loom with one inch of overall secondary insulation left at its center. That feeds over to the right subassembly to the power supply and control switching, now back on the xmitter end of that cable, notice that recessed two contact reddish brown bakelite connector about an inch above it….see if your Xmit xtal doesn’t plug right in THERE.<p>Down on the receiver left side, see a tuning assembly with its knob/switch then looks like a red terminal above it…receiver ant input ? Then the headphone connector plug to the right, (looks white from reflected light) Then towards the front of the unit a small round black meter, but that has twisted /mounted about 45 degrees askew from the norm. I still remember this meter config from Korean and Vietnam vintage equipment. Next over to the right a tuning unit with its two knobs and the power wiring loom in its right bottom corner going over to the PS unit. Lastly look at the left of the two knobs, prezactly eleventeen sixteenths of an inch below it and see if you can’t plug in your rec xtal, right THERE.
BTW, for extra weatherproofing in general, looks like the outer case might be covered with a thick sheet of old generation clear plastic, with some cut outs for latches, etc . See the left front top corner, looks like a traingle of it has cracked and fell off as well as a bit on down the side.<p>Aside…. for sigint33:
Similar situation, I was always mobile and was getting stomped by the full 2 gallon sta about 10 blks away. One nite when he was gone I crawled his tower and hung an old 48” fluorescent lamp just below his driven element . Then later, casually pointed out the
bright light in the sky to some adjacent neighbors, and that they best might keep themselves and their pets in side to preclude getting “radiated” by the crazy ham on the corner. He wasn’t a tower man and it was months before things were back to normal…I’ll never tell.<p>
73's de Edd
;)
ali020

Post by ali020 »

edd,
once again, thank you so much. i appreciate all the time you took to explain this. the pics will most definitely help, as well. i'll get back to you if in need anything else.