My Kenwood TS440S diode source

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cato

My Kenwood TS440S diode source

Post by cato »

My Kenwood TS440S is beginning to present symptoms (frequency drift and intermittent dots in the display) of PLL unlock. Service Bulletins at Kenwood.net suggest that replacing a fist full of diodes with new diodes of any of these types : 1S2588,1SS91S, BA282 will cure the problem.
Additionally, I have heard that 1S1587 diodes can be used. However, I have been unable to find a source for these parts that will send or sell me just a fist full. I haven't tracked down the manufactures of all the parts. However, the BA282 seem to be made by Vishay.<p>Can any of you recommend a supplier for any of these parts? Thanks<p>
[email protected]
:confused:
sundancer87

Re: My Kenwood TS440S diode source

Post by sundancer87 »

I took a look into my books, the BA282 crosses to a NTE555A, which is a Schottky Barrier Diode. It is a silicon diode for VHF Band switching. Since there is an NTE part number you should be able to get this at any NTE dealer or distributer.<p>Part of being an electronics hobbyist is the ability to ferret out those components you want.
Your request makes me wonder if you are capable of tearing into your equipment to replace these components.<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: sundancer87 ]<p>[ September 07, 2003: Message edited by: sundancer87 ]</p>
cato

Post by cato »

Thanks for the cross reference. <p>It's my experiance that distributors don't like to deal in small quantities, and Digikey and Mouser don't carry any of the parts I listed. I will check to see if they have the NTE part. <p>In case they don't, can you suggest someone that will sell me 20 or 30 of these diodes?<p>Thanks again.
Ron H

Post by Ron H »

You probably have already been to this forum:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TS-440/messages/1
There are a ton of threads about your problem (dots, PLL unlocking) there.
sundancer87

Post by sundancer87 »

CATO, this is your lucky day, only because my project didn't work and I had to get away from it for awhile.<p>Try this [url=http://www.moyerelectronics.com,]www.moyerelectronics.com,[/url] they have your NTE555A for $1.58 each. You can buy just one or you can buy one hundred.<p>While you are there download the resistor color code, or the capacitor convertor, or the NTE parts catalog.<p>The web page is crowded so you have to look around for the order section.
Good luck... :cool:
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Cato,<p>Has the rubber sealant mod been performed yet? On VCO 5 there is a rubber sealant that, after time, absorbs moisture and causes problems. There are three parts that need to be removed, the rubber sealant then needs to be removed, and the parts replaced. The service bulletin suggests using new components but I have read where the originals were carefully cleaned and replaced without problem. Your best bet is to read these mods and improvment documents at:<p>http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?model=ts-440&radio=kenwood
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
cato

Post by cato »

Just wanted to say thanks. <p>RonH - Yes I have been on the Yahoo group. They have been very helpful. However, thanks for posting the info.<p>Sundancer - Thanks again, those guys only want 50 cents Canadian for a NTE cross to another one of the recommended diodes....might go that route if it comes to it.<p>JollyRoger - Yes I'm aware of the sealent issue. The guys on the Yahoo board call it the "goop problem". However, I didn't know Kenwood issued a service bulletin about it. It's not on Kenwood.net. I downloaded the whole 440 service manual from www.mods.dk yesterday. I'll have to go back and get the document you are refering to.<p>Thanks again.