power supply hangup

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JS

power supply hangup

Post by JS »

Many years back I made a power supply in Jr. college and have started to use it for some microcontroller work. It uses the LM723 regulator with a pass transistor with a 0 to 25 volt output and it works fine 99% of the time. Sometimes when first turned on the output voltage will go to max, with the output control turned down to zero? I have to shut down and restart to clear the problem. Ideas please? Thanks, JS
Ron H

Re: power supply hangup

Post by Ron H »

Can you point to a schematic?
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

I prefere the Lm-317. Simple
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Hard to tell without schematic. Sounds like potentiameter wiper goes open when turned down HARD. Or if LM723 is in socket, one pin is dirty.<p>C U L
Dale Y
Edd

Post by Edd »

JS:You have already received 2 very likely faults from Dale. In case you still don't have a reference '723 schematic at hand, this should suffice, although it should be quite a leap in current capability.
http://www.seits.org/features/pwrsup.gif
(Astron '723 PS ckt)
You might try to replicate the fault by tapping the chassis/ PCB with a screwdrivers plastic handle to check for a loose connection or marginal solder joint. You would want to be monitoring the 723's voltage reference input at pin 4 or its output to the pass xstrs at pin 10 while doing this.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected]........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>
;)
JS

Post by JS »

Thanks all for the help, still trying to dig up the schematic.I may have to draw the circuit by hand. Will try your suggestions.JS
chris_elrod

Post by chris_elrod »

Im sure you are aware of how a VR works! It tries to balance a voltage ratio between the output and the reference pins. Check to see that your circuit doesnt have a possiblity for high resistance between these two pins at startup, possibly through a transistor or another device or like the other guys said a bad connection!