signal generator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
yukanti

signal generator

Post by yukanti »

anyone khow haw to make a signal generator that consists 3 oscillators, which is blocking oscillator, cmos oscillatos n phase-shift oscillator?
russlk

Re: signal generator

Post by russlk »

Why do you want to do that?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

You may do better to specify the parameters of the signal you want to create and ask again.<p>[ January 26, 2005: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

Hi I 've built a few signal generators,
I think what you are describing ( please help me out)a phase chip (such as ?)for doing like GHz ?
the multiplier part gets up there to the range and the other oscillators make up some kind of filter design to clean up the high and low harmonics. Possibly the range is built into the chip uses a subcircuit. In any case maybe this feeble attempt as a description might give some clue to what you might be concidering. thanks for the topic.
yukanti

Post by yukanti »

1. Why? It's just a job for my lab assignment at my faculty... non-profit offcourse.. :) It's due this week actually.<p>2. "n" refers to "and"... sorry... <p>2 & 3. I think it's to produce output signal such as triangle or sawtooth or sinusoid<p>i have found the schematic and calcualtion (theory) for phase-shift oscillators... the other two, only the schematic as a sample, the tjheory or calculation not yet. for blocking oscillator, it need an inductor, can i built it without it, because i don't know how to make an inductor. <p>thanks
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

So you want to design a function generator that has three modes of output? like a benchtop function generator? <p>But you have only specified general categories of oscillators, in fact CMOS is a technology that might be used to implement any of these designs so it is not a seperate thing. Many oscillators favor BiPolar technology. Are you saying you need examples of these other two circuits using CMOS?<p>A Phase shift oscillator and a blocking oscillator do sound like something someone can describe the theory of. As to a design, one would need to know frequency (or range if adjustable), amplitude (or range) and that is assuming all you want are sine waves or combinations thereof. For more complex waveforms (like video for example)all bets are off. <p>As for an inductor, they are generally easy to fabricate, its just a coil of wire around air or a metal core. Designing the inductor is another story. The size of the wire relates to the current it needs to carry and the number of turns and the shape of the coil is what determines the inductor's value. It's really not that hard to do but you first need to know the value you need and it is helpful to know the frequency it will operate at. <p>Post a link to your schematic and that should liven things up on this thread.
Bernius1

Post by Bernius1 »

I'll suggest some search parameters if you post which country you're posting from, maybe with a URL.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I've built about four different versions based on the max038 and was very happy with the output.
I found the larger board 6x6 easier to trouble shoot even though the smaller design was very clever the traces were tight and several attempts with iron-on mask still required high skill level for some this might be problematic.