I want to make a Cable tester

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
quiroga4

I want to make a Cable tester

Post by quiroga4 »

I would like to built acable tester, fo cable with 6 to 12 wires, using conetors of 6 to 12 pins. some advice or scheematic.
Thanks
nestor
NQ
Bob Scott

Re: I want to make a Cable tester

Post by Bob Scott »

NQ, I have some questions first:<p>What is the range of length of the cables?<p>Will both ends of the same cable be available to be plugged into a test box?
I am asking this because some cables like the multi-pin cables you describe are actually installed in buildings with their ends in different rooms.<p>Do you want to know where in the cable a fault can be found, like which end has a broken or shorted wire or if the fault lies 25 feet down a 100 foot cable?<p>Bob :cool:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hello Néstor.
If you prepare a one end mating connector (A) with a 100 ohm resistor to pin one, 200 Ohm to pin 2, 300 Ohm to pin 3...and continuing to the last pin, and join all the resistors together to a common (C);
Then, install a (12) position switch to the other end connector (B).
An ohmeter between the resistors common C of end (A) and the common of the selector switch (CB) at end B will give you readings of 100 for position 1, 200 for position 2, 300 for position 3...
Any open wire will register infinite, any short to other wire or crossed connection will show resistance other than the number [÷100] of the position being tested reading.<p>C----100R----1A---------•
C----200R----2A---------•
C----300R----3A---------•\
C----400R----4A---------• \
C... \
C... •CB switch
C... |
C... |
C... |
C----1200R----12A-------• |
| |
-----------Ohmmeter----------<p>I hope graphic will show somewhat decently, ohmeter will show 3[x100 scale] for good at position 3 being tested above.<p>Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Externet

Post by Externet »

Nope.
The lines at right of all "C..." should show way to the right to draw the common of switch.
Same with the right side | at the line with ||
I just proved myself inept to draw in ASCII> :(
- Abolish the deciBel ! -