function generator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikezx

function generator

Post by mikezx »

I have came across a function generator and I'm trying to use it for just tinkering around at home. This unit has coax cable connectors for the output and also for it's freq. counter. Does anyone know what kind of cable/adapter I will need to use this generator for breadboard type circuit simulations? Thanks...MJ
Dean Huster

Re: function generator

Post by Dean Huster »

Those are usually BNC connectors on the generators and it's easiest to just find a 6-foot BNC-to-BNC cable, clip the cable in half and add different ends to each. On one of the halves, I've found that the handiest thing is to solder the shield and center conductor to a 2-pin, male square-pin connector that has pins on 0.1" centers. Then you can connect the BNC connector to the FG output and the other end into two adjacent holes on the breadboard making the signal and ground connections very easy.<p>The other half of the cable can be modified to add a black (shield) and red (center conductor) alligator clips for more general uses.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.