Radio Shack getting out of parts supply

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dr_when

Re: Radio Shack getting out of parts supply

Post by dr_when »

Boy, To think that I applied for a job at Radio Shack in the seventies and actually had to take a polygraph test which of course, I failed out of sheer nervousness. I wonder how many Tandy VP's would take and pass a polygraph now!??!!
"Who is John Galt?"
Tommy volts

Post by Tommy volts »

Matt,<p>The books your talking about were written by Forrest Mimms and are still readily available. It would actually be a real loss if they weren't. The Radio Shack near my house still carries some of the books, reprints of the rest of them can be found at Fry's Electronics and at on-line bookstores.
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Hi Guys,
Those mini Engineer's notebooks are still available through the Nuts&Volts bookstore by mail order. A little more pricy than at Radio Shack who doesn't carry them. But they are the full line of all the thiner ones in thicker ones. Inow have the full set of 4 of them and lots of good informatin in them for the rank amateur. Some stores might have the "Getting started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III.
Greybie
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Something else to be aware of is that there are two kinds of RS store. There are Radio Shack stores owned by the company, and there are franchisees. SOme of these are not full fledged RS stores, they are sort of a half-assed semi RS. Those stores have the flexibility to carry parts and lines that are not part of the main RS formula.
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Enzo:
SOme of these are not full fledged RS stores, they are sort of a half-assed semi RS.
<hr></blockquote><p>I can't tell whether this is good or bad :D
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I was definitely incorrect when I mentioned low margin on parts ... my mind was wandering. Their parts are horribly overpriced and over very low quality compared to Digi-Key. I quit buying RS transformers when I noticed that the ones I bought got hotter than firecrackers -- with no load. Eeeeeeesh!<p>Coaxial cable such as RG-58 or RG-8 sold by RS rarely has more than 50% shield coverage.<p>Back around 1965, there was a Radio Shack in NW St. Louis County (MO) that was a hobbyist's store. About the only turn-key stuff they had was test equipment, CBs and a small stereo or two. They had oodles of parts and surprise grab bags, something totally unheard of today.<p>To their credit, the $8.00 20Kohm/V VOM I bought from them just after Tandy acquired Allied Radio is still going strong. It certainly isn't my main meter, but does serve me well as a knock-around meter in my truck. And the Nova speakers that I bought on deep discount turned out to be nice speakers for me. The wife always hated them, preferring little bitty, unobtrusive speakers, regardless of how they sound. Geez. Wimmin.<p>Dean<p>[ October 19, 2005: Message edited by: Dean Huster ]</p>
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

Speaking of Jameco, oh yes we're really speaking of Radio Shack, but remember when Jameco sold JimPaks through independent retailers? When I opened my computer store in 1980 I stocked a variety of JimPak chips and connectors for the computer hobbiest who wanted to "roll his own". And their dealer requirements were minimal. You coulda been an icecream store and sold 'em.
"if it's not another it's one thing."
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Dean Huster:
To their credit, the $8.00 20Kohm/V VOM I bought from them just after Tandy acquired Allied Radio is still going strong. It certainly isn't my main meter, but does serve me well as a knock-around meter in my truck.
<hr></blockquote><p>Micronta? I have an ancient one I bought from RS in the 70s that I use as a "sacrificial" lamb meter - i.e. if I'm not sure what I'm looking at current or voltage wise and don't want to risk my "good" meter. I have yet to destroy it. The original battery lasted until last year.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Speaking of Jameco, oh yes we're really speaking of Radio Shack, but remember when Jameco sold JimPaks through independent retailers? When I opened my computer store in 1980 I stocked a variety of JimPak chips and connectors for the computer hobbiest who wanted to "roll his own". And their dealer requirements were minimal. You coulda been an icecream store and sold 'em. <hr></blockquote><p>Back in the seventies we had an RS next to a Heathkit. I would just go to browse them both somedays. I clearly recall that Heathkit had Jimpack parts. I did not see the connection between the two until I saw Jimpack on Jameco's Web-site or maybe on an invoice.<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr> Micronta? I have an ancient one I bought from RS in the 70s that I use as a "sacrificial" lamb meter - i.e. if I'm not sure what I'm looking at current or voltage wise and don't want to risk my "good" meter. I have yet to destroy it. The original battery lasted until last year.
<hr></blockquote><p>I am sure my old 20kohm/volt Micronta is still alive somewhere with a bent needle and charred internal circuit board. My first meter was a 1000 ohm per volt Micronta. Now it definitely was feeling abuse as I think the needle got to the point where it would stick.<p>[ October 22, 2005: Message edited by: Joseph ]</p>
jimandy

Post by jimandy »

I just went to the RS web site and found this message posted.
"We're getting ready
to bring you
an all new RadioShack.com"<p>veddy inter-resting
"if it's not another it's one thing."
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Joseph:<p>
Back in the seventies we had an RS next to a Heathkit. I would just go to browse them both somedays. I clearly recall that Heathkit had Jimpack parts.<hr></blockquote><p>My memory was off the mark. The Heathkit was a few blocks down the street. However, there was a Flightbox Hobby Shop a few doors down which carried R/C airplane stuff.<p>[ October 22, 2005: Message edited by: Joseph ]</p>
Gary

Post by Gary »

Its too bad. People just don't build or repair much stuff anymore.<p>Pretty soon at Rat Shack it will be just cell phones, electronic toys as gifts, and unusual batteries and cables.<p>At least until grocery stores start carrying cell phones, and then they will drop cell phones as well.<p>[ October 22, 2005: Message edited by: Gary ]</p>
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Grocery stores? I can walk into convenience stores all over town and buy a cell phone off a rack next to the beef jerky. That day is already here.