Cutting PC Board

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
philba

Re: Cutting PC Board

Post by philba » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:20 am

To make a round board, I would cut it octagonally and then use a sander to round off the corners. A stationary disk sander works really well for sanding FR4. <p>I can't help think a hole saw would mangle the board plus the center hole may not be desirable.

philba

Post by philba » Sun Jan 23, 2005 12:32 am

A couple of posts jogged my memory. I have done a poor man's PCB routing with a drill press. I have a drill press with a cross sliding vise that I use for drilling my PCBs $45 or so. It's a very good investment for your drill press. Here's an example - http://www.grizzly.com/products/item.cf ... mber=H0967<p>With a 1/16 dremel carbide grout router bit in the chuck, I was able to route a board's outline. I'd clamp the PCB in the CS vise, lower the bit into the FR4 and turn the cranks to move the board. Its kind of nasty (lots of FR4 dust). But works reasonably well. You can get better router bits for a lot cheaper but I dont have those links handy.

Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith » Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:09 am

And then depending on the length of the pipe, you cut a square/Rectangle piece and put it in at 90 degrees to your proposed circle, and it even self centers. <p>Other than that the hole saw doesn’t mangle anything at all, as long as you clamp, run the blade very slow, and apply cooling and lubricant in the form of rubbing alcohol. Not only have I done this method, but have done it for over twenty years mangling perhaps only the first board, but then the learning curve cuts in and says " slow down" like all things that we are in a hurry over.
To get rid of the 1/4 center hole, you place a small spring in the center of the hole saw, with a 1/4 inch center punch, or ground down rod, and place the point into a lead hole for centering.

zotdoc

Post by zotdoc » Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:15 pm

I have no experience with cutting circuit boards but harbor freight and others have diamond coated scroll saw blades. I've used them to cut glass and they work well but are very slow.

Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Chris Smith:
And then depending on the length of the pipe, you cut a square/Rectangle piece and put it in at 90 degrees to your proposed circle, and it even self centers. <p>Other than that the hole saw doesn’t mangle anything at all, as long as you clamp, run the blade very slow, and apply cooling and lubricant in the form of rubbing alcohol. Not only have I done this method, but have done it for over twenty years mangling perhaps only the first board, but then the learning curve cuts in and says " slow down" like all things that we are in a hurry over.
To get rid of the 1/4 center hole, you place a small spring in the center of the hole saw, with a 1/4 inch center punch, or ground down rod, and place the point into a lead hole for centering.
<hr></blockquote><p>Square no worky. The end of the PVC coupling is epoxy filled (potted).
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."

Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:32 pm

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by zotdoc:
I have no experience with cutting circuit boards but harbor freight and others have diamond coated scroll saw blades. I've used them to cut glass and they work well but are very slow.<hr></blockquote><p>Cool. I'll check them out... Thanks
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."

terri

Post by terri » Tue Jan 25, 2005 11:14 pm

Airplane shears/nibbler to rough.<p>Bench grinder.<p>Coarse wheel.<p>Foil side up.<p>Slow feed.<p>Ventilation.<p>Goggles.<p>Dust mask.<p>Star wheel dresser periodically and when done.<p>[ January 25, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw

bsparky

Post by bsparky » Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:38 am

I do woodworking and make recurve bows as well. When I cut out the limbs which are fiberglass I use a band saw, a some what dull blade works best, kepts the fiber glass from chipping to much. To cut round parts a small nail barely protruding from a piece of plywood is how I do it, doesn't leave much of a mark. Caution very slow feed rate.

bsparky

Post by bsparky » Wed Jan 26, 2005 6:28 am

and yes dust mask and glasses a must!!!!<p>[ January 26, 2005: Message edited by: bsparky ]</p>

grant fair

Post by grant fair » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:38 pm

For cheap cutting of small boards I have used tin snips, the kind with straight, flat blades (not aviation snips). It is also somewhat possible to cut like scissors cut with them. Though this is awkward it might work for circles.<p>Grant
Grant

chapter30

Post by chapter30 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:05 pm

I've been able to use a pair of sheet metal scissors to cut PCBs. I've been able to get them almost round with this method. Use a grinder or disk sander to smooth it out.<p>The hole saw idea sounds good too if the board isn't too large.<p>-Jeff

mrwizard49

Post by mrwizard49 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:38 pm

I use my bandsaw with a metal cutting blade, black and decker moto tool with a cutoff disk, not the little cheezy ones that break, or the old standby jewelers saw frame with the tiny blades I used to cut brass. I never had any problems cutting them. You could always drill a line of holes, connect them with a scored line from a utility knife and break them apart. There is even a blade to fit sabre saws that has carbide pieces bonded to it. They use them on thick fiberglass up to 1" thick where my brother works. Moto tool makes a carbide bit that would work in the dremel or B & D high speed drill.
what the heck?