TAB books

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Donald S. Lambert

TAB books

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Hi, I remember way back when TAB publishing put out a number of books. Back in about 1977 (+ or - a few years) I could get a TAB book from the library on transistors. It was a little different in that it went into detail of what happened if you overpowered a transistor, for instance, without a heatsink. All were soldered circuits and abouit all I remember was the experiment of drawing too much poer from transistor without a heatsink. You held it in your fingers and used a switch to turn on the power. You soon got the message as it got hot. Then you put a heat sink on and did that again.<p>About that time I got involved in overtime at work and then the library cleansed their shelves of some books and there went that book.<p>No idea of the title but hope someone can remember that book. I would like to read it again and play with the circuits. As someone said you learn so much more with a circuit that doesn't work right. Greybie
Ron H

Re: TAB books

Post by Ron H »

Yeah, long ago I learned that TO-92's will print a little red "D" on your fingertip if they are too hot.
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

I recommend taking a look at QRP notebook by ARRL written by Doug Demaw. There is alot of good information on transistors. Even though the book is written for QRP builders it has really improved my understanding of using transistors effectively and in practical down to earth terms.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I have a few TAB books and may even have the book of which you speak.<p>The experiment that you are talking about is one that demonstrates what is called THERMAL RUN-AWAY. As a transistor heats up its resistance goes down. This results in a condition where the transistor can carry more current. The more current it carries the warmer it gets. This causes the transistor to conduct even more. Soon it starts to carry so much current and get so hot that it fails.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Thanks guys!
Thermal runaway - yep that refreshed my memory at 77 I do have senior moments. And I never worked with electronics although I worked for an electronics firm. But that was in the role of a mechanical/sheetmetal inspector. You know making chassis and cutting pot shafts to length and in the printed circuits department.<p>Guess that the book search is dead. Greybie
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

TAB Books were sucked up by mega-giant publisher McGraw-Hill about 10-15 years ago. None of the McGraw-Hill reps ever seem to know of TAB, so it's a bitch to find any of the still-printed titles and a lot of the titles are no longer in print. Carr published all his books through them, so it's a shame that they can't be easily found.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Timothy Rasch

Post by Timothy Rasch »

I think I found some of the books your looking for on the back page of my #464 "Electronic Hobbyist's Ic projects handbook" that I own:#111 "Basic Transistor Course";#129 "New Skill-Building Transistor Projects And Experiments";#470 "Transistor Circuit Guidebook"
Try a interloan search at your library through your Librarian for these books.They might find these books for you. Good luck!!!!
samsmiles

Post by samsmiles »

Hello Greybie,
I got the TAB electronics guide to understanding electricity and electronics by G. Randy Slone short time ago and on page 234 it talks about thermal runaway and implications of it on bipolar transistor amplifiers.
Take care. Sam
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hello there,<p>If i understand you right, you're looking to
either refresh what you once knew about
transistors or want to get to know them a little
better right?<p>Well, im sure there are books out there, but
there is also this forum :-) where you can ask
just about anything you want too about a
transistor, including about some basic
amplifier circuits if that happens to
interest you.<p>The basics:<p>The diode
DC Biasing
Amplification
Transistor used as a switch
Power dissipation
Observing max specifications<p>
Take care,
Al
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Joseph

Post by Joseph »

Also another helpful possibility is the search option near the top of the page.