whitfield pellet stove

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Rock 'n Ice wrote:Composing my last post challenged me more to trace down the problem. I guess I was just getting discouraged and a little lazy. I found pinouts for some of the ICs on the web last night, so I'll probably try to reverse engineer the convection fan circuit with or without the help of anybody from here.
It might be helpful if you could draw out a schematic with any part numbers or part values you find, then scan it and post it, some of us who are familiar with analog circuitry might be able to figure out at least some basic functions of the circuitry. Pin numbers on ICs and other semiconductors and where they go are very important information.

I have always found that the fist step to success is always gathering as much information as possible.

Good luck in your quest.
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

I'll post the info as soon as my brother in law answers the email.. his works fine, it was a little spendy, but when the stove is free, the part makes it worthwhile.. as far as pellets, I go to Sandpoint Idaho.. the manufacturer is right there in town, the pellets are every bit as good as the lignetic, and they are $165 a ton at the feed store or the hardware in the downtown section.. I even tried to become a rep and sell them down in the Deer Park/Spokane area.. told them I'd purchase 40 tons at a time.. Ace in my oppinion doesn't give anyone a break on anything they sell, I try to stay away from them if possible.. even tho, $200 isn't a bad price compared to what I see out there..

another thought too.. why not just build another fan control circuit? not much to it, speed, delay off, and a safety trap.. with a little testing here and there, you could pick up the signals needed to trigger each stage of the circuit, and probably come out with a better control also.. seems that the fan circuit is what dies on all the older Whitfields.. and... there was another fella waaaay back when this started, that had taken another control panel and just replaced the entire Whitfield assembly with it.. he figured out which inputs, outputs, and so on.. might be able to go back and find his post and contact him about how it is working after all these years..
Rock 'n Ice

Post by Rock 'n Ice »

Thanks, frhrwa. I'm going up to Sandpoint for a week next month and will check out prices. I was wondering if Lignetics sold direct; probably not. Do you know? What do you think about the co-op idea posted here? Get 6-8 families together and go in on a truck load if we could work out the fork lift and dock issue? I've got plenty of room in my barn to store 40 tons temporarily, but would have to build a dock. Do you know if the mfr. you dealt with delivers with their own fork lift?

If fixing this control board hits a dead end, I probably will build on a better long term solution. I found a photo of the black face analog control board that must have replaced the silver face but before the digital board. It's a LOT simpler and lines up better with the description at the start of this thread.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

This maybe a bit off topic....

I've got a next door neighbor who has a Corn/Pellet Stove.

Now we are currently being plagued by rabbits, and they're leaving their
Pellet size droppings all over the place.

A thought occurred too me that he could use these droppings instead of having to buy Corn, or Soy Pellets.

I mean, back in the 19th century.
Settlers use too burn Buffalo chips for heat.
Why not Rabbit Pellets?

Anyone try this?

Signed:Janitor Tzap
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

lignetics wasn't very friendly when asked about dealer sales or discount on quantity.. they are very proud of their product.. most manufacturers require you to have your own forklifts and equipment, but you might just check with them if there is no dealer in your area.. co-op is always good alternative.. enough people and you can always have a semi load delivered.. heck, I may just go in with you also..
frhrwa

where to buy the control board

Post by frhrwa »

carverturt

Post by carverturt »

I fixed mine. It was running full throttle fan and auger when I turned it on but instead of slowing down and starting the auger it would stay on full. Theres a 220uF 25 V cap in the upper section of the board near what looks like a diode bridge. It was leaking ie: had a resistive characteristic. Replaced it with one from work and now Im $320 to the good. Good luck w yours
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

wow.. great news for you then.. late for me.. but maybe it will help someone else.. hopefully..
Rock 'n Ice

Post by Rock 'n Ice »

I'll check mine out too, though I have different symptoms. I've got some of the circuit traced but I'm having trouble getting info on one of the ICs so far. It'll be a while yet before I can post a schematic and a conclusive diagnosis.

Going to pick up another used supposedly good working stove for $100 this weekend. The control board should be plug and play and if I get more replacement parts out of it, so much the better. Until then, it can heat my shop. You gotta love Craig's List. :smile:
frhrwa

Post by frhrwa »

Janitor... by the way, pop corn don't work too well.. ha.. it gets hot when being delivered down the feed ... then pops, sometimes coming back into the hopper, other times just dropping into the fire and gone in a nano second.. maybe dried hominy would work better? ha.... rabbit pellets, deer pellets, etc.. at todays prices, maybe we should try some of these "alternative" sources.. mount the rabbit cage above the hopper with a poop shoot scoop aimed into the stove.
philba

Post by philba »

I bet that would smell nice.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

frhrwa wrote:Janitor... by the way, pop corn don't work too well.. ha.. it gets hot when being delivered down the feed ... then pops, sometimes coming back into the hopper, other times just dropping into the fire and gone in a nano second.. maybe dried hominy would work better? ha.... rabbit pellets, deer pellets, etc.. at todays prices, maybe we should try some of these "alternative" sources.. mount the rabbit cage above the hopper with a poop shoot scoop aimed into the stove.
I wouldn't put the cage above the hopper.

You have to let the pellets dry out first before you could put them into the hopper.
Other wise you will have a smelly mess. :yuck:

I remember an article in "Mother Earth News".
"Cheap Fish Food For Your GoldFish Pond".
You built a rabbit cage with a removable lower tray.
When the tray was full, you popped it out and set it a side in the sun to dry the pellets.
Then you put back in, a second empty tray under the rabbit cage.
Once the pellets on the first tray were dry.
You'd empty it into a bag, or bucket.

The article also mentioned using chickens instead.
But you mount the cages above the pond.
Leaving out the use of trays.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Richard

Whitfield pellet stoves

Post by Richard »

There is a solution for the convection fan circuit if it has decided to stop working. Take the leg off the convection terminal and place on the combustion blower terminal. The combustion blower circuit on most Whitfields is motor controlled. So now your convection fan will work at the same speed as your combustion fan. These terminals are the ones specifically for the respective motors. There is one terminal that all bowers plugged into, including the auger. Don't fool with this terminal section as you'll burn out the motors and probably take out the control board as well

Also if your looking for replacement auger motors go to www.energypartsplus.com they carry a large supply of Whitfield pellet parts.
flinchy69

Re: whitfield pellet stove

Post by flinchy69 »

i know this topic is way old and posts are straying away from original question, but in an effort to keep this thread going in a positive direction and keep these old stoves off the scrap heap let me add a little info to take some of the mystery out of the proprietary "ic's" I've grinded one down to board level exposing the traces accidently removing a part or three. I've also xrayed another also showing traces and the parts that were removed. I hope this helps people to understand what is going on with this circuit. P.s. this is for the old rotary control boards made by icm.

Bob Scott

Re: whitfield pellet stove

Post by Bob Scott »

How did you get access to the Xray machine? Do you know someone in the health field? Now that would be handy!
You've done quite a bit of work cleaning the (looks like) epoxy off that board. I suppose the rest of the conductor tracing can be done with an ohmmeter.

Bob
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.