relay oscillator

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

Re: relay oscillator

Post by Mike6158 »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by no_vice:
Amen. And when you find a way to flash your outdoor Christmas lights all winter, only at night, not in the rain, and at a rate proportional to humidity, all from junk under your bench ? You say 'see, honey, it wasn't junk after all'.
I wanted once to take a blow-molded plastic cat with a pop-out head, and install a thermometer spring. Put it in Grandma's garden, and when the cat looks left, it's 20-degrees, and when right, it's 80 , with the scale on the collar. $8.99
Somebody wake me.<p>BTW*** I know ALT-148 is the 'degree' mark in ASCII in some fonts. Can we get the ASCII ALT-numbers for 'degree' 'squared (2)' 'cubed (3)', 'approx-equal', 'not equal', etc.? Like a mathematics font to support the posts. :D But that's clasciified information :D <p>±
½
¼
Ω
µ

α

²

÷

°

π<p>BTW- ALT 248 is a better looking ° symbol than º or ö ALT 148 ??? That's not a degree symbol...<p>[ January 21, 2005: Message edited by: NE5U ]</p>
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
philba

Post by philba »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Enzo:

Philba, keep on warning that this will kill you, and if something won't work, by golly say so. What comes to my mind though, is to answer someone's question, then explain why it is a bad idea - like it will burn up after ten cycles. And certainly offer better ways if we know what the original intent was. But always answer the original question because it might have been asked to understand something. "Here is how you would do it, and here is why you shouldn't."<p>One of my personal beefs is the "use a PIC for it" response to requests for logic circuits. No one learns how logic works that way. As a practical solution to a problem, or for a commercial product, the PIC might be better, but if one is trying to glean some knowledge of TTL, then it is no help.
<hr></blockquote><p>well, each has a different style. I don't recall reading this in the rule book so perhaps this is just your opinion and not a requirement. You've got a right to state it just as I have to state mine. A civil interchange of differing opinions is a sign of a healthy society.<p>On the second point, I'm going to start a new tread where this topic should prove interesting.
terri

Post by terri »

Enzo:<p>(Apropos of Chic's original relay multivibrator question)<p>Thanks for confirmation on the slug-on-the-end-of-the-coil which was used for a timing relay on the Rock Ola juke boxes. <p>The relays I used back then didn't have brass washers on the end of the pole pieces, just a copper slug. There were two sizes for two timing delays, one with a slug about 3/4 inch long, the other with a slug about half that size for half the time. I think I recall these slugs delayed opening of the contacts (armature drop-out), and that seems to make sense in terms of delaying the field collapse by induction into the pole piece.*<p>Anyhow, I was wondering if the same effect (delaying collapse of the relay's field) would pertain if there were a sheet of copper wrapped around the coil instead of with a slug of copper on the pole piece, much as the heavy copper wire in the ends of the pole pieces of an induction motor field magnet delays the collapse of the alternating field to create a rotating field.<p>I was just wondering if someone knew offhand if this "wrapping" of the coil would work the same way, but the topic / thread was sidetracked by philosophical discussions and how to conveniently write "30 dF" and "-25 dC." <p>-----------
*(These were used in large relay racks for the logic / control circuitry in an experimental psychology rat laboratory back in 1959. The relays controlled the feeders and the rat pedals, etc., in rat experiments. I had a roomful of relay racks which cabled into the experimental rooms and my job was to do the logic wiring for the relay racks. There were literally thousands of these relays involved for the logic networks required.<p>Incidentally, lest we forget, that's why they are called "relay racks" even to this day.)<p>[ January 23, 2005: Message edited by: terri ]</p>
terri wd0edw
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Brass, copper. Non ferrous is all I recall. I don't think wrapping the coil would do anything. The extra metal on the pole piece was the ticket there.<p>Philba, the last thing in the world I want to do is create friction anywhere, and certainly not here. Of course my statements are opinions and nothing more. Opinions may well differ, this is after all a forum. I would just hope you might consider my plea for the questioner.<p>I was agreeing with you that Ian's remark was out of line, lacking in civility. And when I said to you keep on warning us things will kill us, I was not being snide, I meant it. When you earlier said something to the effect that we expected only positive remarks, you sounded to me a bit defensive, so I was trying to reassure you that warnings of safety or any other negative outcome were welcome and in fact important to the less experienced. I was not being flippant, if it sounded that way I am sorry. My only real objection in the whole thing was to dismissing the question without answering it just because it seemed impractical.<p>Perhaps it is something I am more sensitive about, it bothers me greatly when someone does not answer my question but decides I should hear something else instead. That is why I brought up the PIC example. I suppose I am making a distinction between answer and reply.<p>I will make an effort to be more sensitive in the future, and make my intent more clear.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Enzo <p>You will notice that all who attack a reasonable post, will be in kind, treated the same. <p>Civility and honesty are all that is required to post here along with a honest case of curiosity.
philba

Post by philba »

enzo, I took no offense. My point about only positive was not defensive but rather trying to make a point that there are many valid and reasonable ways to respond to a post. I can certainly understand why might have thought it defensive after a couple of the other posts, though. <p>I really did want to understand why he wanted to do that. With out context, its very hard to help some one. I agree that it might be easy to interpret my post otherwise.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

in the beguinning of this post..i seen the same type of circuit described...this is used in many of the modern turn signal flashers now..
its like a relay with a dual coil all in one..its got a resistor and a cap in it also..