EM Waves / Particles

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bernius1

Re: EM Waves / Particles

Post by Bernius1 »

Thanks, Chris, you're right. So, if the light travels fairly straight through the glass, then the bending point is at the threshold between the air & glass. So is it the difference of energy in the respective electron shells doing the emitting that 'bends' the beam ?
The reason I wonder is as bizarre as some of the other posts lately;
Based on A)angle of diffraction in various media, B) surface effect of charge (electrons in copper & RF on antennae C) Current semiconductor and metal fab.procedures D) new technologies like photonic crystals ,
I believe we'll see something like a metallized mylar sheet with crystals grown on it ( like a MOSFET ?) which receives a photon, and turns the energy 90° (<ALT-248 is °), to pass along the surface. At first test, it'll appear to go dark. Add voltage, & it'll re-emit the other 90°. Wrap it around an object, & whammo, apparent invisibility. Kooky, but I'd say by 2050 it'll be.
Can't we end all posts with a comical quip?
Chris Smith

Re: EM Waves / Particles

Post by Chris Smith »

The angular momentum of the atom when it is struck by a photon accounts for the prismatic effect of different glass atoms giving off or bending light diferently. And it is why crown and flint are used in combination as a lens on standard optical telescopes, as one bends Angular momentum of the light in one direction while the other deflects it back accounting for a greater correction factor to the light than either on their own can account for. <p>Two diffusions in them self would normally account for twice the reduction of light or error factors, yet instead they divide their own error rates by each other.<p>Actually photonic doubling crystals are the key to this performance. One frequency goes in, and you get a doubling effect coming out. <p>And the invisibility thing is already in the works. How far along I haven’t heard yet, but I know they have been working on it for decades now.<p>[ January 21, 2005: Message edited by: Chris Smith ]</p>