Dynamo- radios

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tonybackache

Dynamo- radios

Post by tonybackache »

I'm lucky to have a Rural Electric Coop as my electrical company.
Dependability is a dirty word.
Have been observing on e-bay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... Track=true
Curious if anyone has experience with this or other Dynamo type radios?
dacflyer

Re: Dynamo- radios

Post by dacflyer »

yup. friends got one that we use a lot.. we share :p
we can wind it up and it will jam for about 2 hrs
it has a combination of dynamo+cap set up
its been very reliable.. just be sure not to overwind it..
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I have the a couple of the Baygen radios and I like them a lot. I have not tried the one you linked to so I cannot offer any advice on that particular model.<p>DO NOT repeat DO NOT buy the Grundig wind up radio from Radio Shack thinking you are getting a real Grundig radio. These are not anywhere near what used to be Grundig quality. Apparently some US company licensed the Grundig name and is having cheap radios built with the Grundig name slapped on them.<p>The little pocket radios with flashlight, alarm, etc. that you can crank are junk. I'm referring to items such as this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 30095&rd=1<p>I have not tried this particular model but have used similar types. The reception and construction of this style is very low end.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Bob Haller

Post by Bob Haller »

I added a UPS to my tv satellite tv. now a hour power failure isnt a big thing. mostly I did this because the reboot time for the satellite reciver, like a tivo, with records to hard drive. its 3 minute reboot, and thats a lot with a power burp during prime time.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Tony, Thanks for posting that radio for sale. I just went to that URL and saw what else they had for sale and bought a KA1102 shortwave radio.<p>Bob :cool:
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

:) )it has such rich sound,and i love the slit eye tuning tube.
i also got a Telefünken radio as well
when my grandma worked at Grundig , her job was winding transformers :D
tonybackache

Post by tonybackache »

Well I got my radio yesterday. Oh what a let down. Size of radio 5"x8" tiny. Digital display and the dynamo crank wouldn't work at all. Seller won't refund but will replace with another cheap piece of Chinese junk.