NON-PORTABLE cellular telephone?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

NON-PORTABLE cellular telephone?

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Does anyone know about any UNMOBILE cellular telephone?
Rack mount, table top, black box, whatever features an external antenna jack for the roof and an emulated telco RJ11 jack where a rural home/yatch can connect all its 'normal' telephony extensions and gadgets ?
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dyarker

Re: NON-PORTABLE cellular telephone?

Post by dyarker »

Saw a brochure for something like that about 3 years ago. Don't remember what it was called, or the manufacturers name.<p>It was intended to be connected to a PBX or key system as another "outside line". The idea was to save money on calls between the office and workers moving around town. Land-line to land-line calls are cheapest, cell phone to cell phone calls cost more, calls between a land-line and a cell phone cost the most (here anyway).<p>With a fixed (UNMOBILE) cell phone connected to the PBX, the calls would have changed from most expensive to middle cost. We didn't do it for a number of reasons.<p>Of course, the rural home/yatch has to be in range of a cell phone companies "cell". The external antenna will help some.<p>Sorry I couldn't help more, at least I confirmed that such a unit exists. One more thing, the price was low 4 digits because demand is small.<p>Cheers,<p>[ September 27, 2004: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</p>
Dale Y
cato

Post by cato »

I have seen patents for similar items. What kind of information are you looking for?
k8pbx

Post by k8pbx »

Perhaps you're looking for something like the CellSocket?<p>CellSocket<p>I use one with my home telephone system which allows my cellular phone to be accessed from any mult-line phone in the house. The unit provides a loop start type line out via an RJ-11 jack. Works great. They have them for quite a few models of cellphones.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

I'm impressed! $60 or $100 on sale for Motorola. I added the link to Favorites.<p>Steve - K8PBX how'd you find it?
Dale Y
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi.
Thanks.
Found the Nokia 22 and the Nokia Premicell too. I wasn't aware these existed.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
k8pbx

Post by k8pbx »

Dale Y... Re: How'd I find it?<p>I'm a telecom manager for a living, so I get bombarded with product offerings at work. The CellSocket folks sent me info via US mail.<p>It caught my eye as a solution for a friend that has a cottage and didn't want to spend the money to have a regular telco line due to cost. We wired the place as normal for a few phones and also installed a CellSocket. Work's like a champ. When he gets to the cottage he just plops his cellphone into the charger and all the house phones become live. Pretty slick.<p>I liked it so much that I picked one up for use at home. In my case, I brought the CellSocket line output into my multi-line telephone system allowing access to my "cellphone line" from any existing phone in the house. <p>I've heard of folks doing something similar by putting in a few 2-line phones in their house and having the cell line as Line 2, the regular telco line as Line 1. Another cool application was in a motor home. They had regular wall phones, desk phones, etc, deployed in the coach and utilized the CellSocket for dial tone.<p>I probably sound like I'm a rep for this company or something, which I'm not. Just pleased with an innovative and cost effective product that works as advertised.<p>Steve