stupid question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
paulrevelcet

stupid question

Post by paulrevelcet »

I have a lot of ribbon cable that I would like to use but what are the female plugs called that one would use with it, I know that the male end are sill headers (square pins) but I cant seem to find the female end. thanks for answering stupid questions, oh and how do they put the plugs on the ribbon cable.
Chris Smith

Re: stupid question

Post by Chris Smith »

Headers usually go on both ends of a ribbon cable, but you can get socket headers.
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Is there one source for identifying all the different types of connectors on the internet?
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by paulrevelcet:
Is there one source for identifying all the different types of connectors on the internet?<hr></blockquote><p>Yes there is - when i find where I've hidden the URL I'll post it.<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Thank you very much.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

newark catalog has a buh-zillion different kinds of connectors and headers.. have a look,, their catalog is 3" thick
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Mouser sells all kinds. Look up stock number 517-89110-0001 as an example. Digikye has them, and I am sure Allied does. I thought Jameco carried them, but a quick look through theuir catalog didn't find them.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

The website is The Hardware Book<p>
Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

My regular source for all kinds of headers
is Samtec. Free samples "next day" even!
Dave
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

I think you mean IDC (Insulation Displacement Connectors). The connector has teeth that bite into the ribbon and pierce the insulation (hence "Insulation Displacement"). <p>They're pressed onto the ribbon cable with an IDC press which is rather expensive. An IDC press has special dies that hold the cable and connector in place so they don't move when being pressed together.<p>You can use a cheap (usually around $40) arbor press that's usually available from industrial supply places like Harbor Freight, or you can carefully clamp them on with large Vise-Grips if you're not making a lot of cables. I think DigiKey sells a hand held IDC press, but it's probably around $80 or so.<p>I have used a drill press to put them on: drill a countersunk hole into a bit of wood (1"x2" or similar) and insert a 1/4" bolt and screw it in place. Now you can put the end of the bolt into the chuck and place the cable & connector beneath it. Pull down on the drill press handle and it will push the cable and connector together. Add a strain relief and you're all done.<p>Hope this was helpful.<p>
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by paulrevelcet:
I have a lot of ribbon cable that I would like to use but what are the female plugs called that one would use with it, I know that the male end are sill headers (square pins) but I cant seem to find the female end. thanks for answering stupid questions, oh and how do they put the plugs on the ribbon cable.<hr></blockquote>
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

I have a hand tool for squashing the IDCs onto ribbons. Not sure where I got it. But it works. I don't do any volume of it, but in repair work, it comes up. It sits in the drawer with the other crimping tools, like the ones for coax, telephone RJ connectors, fork lugs, etc.