Wireless voice control

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
phurm

Wireless voice control

Post by phurm »

Looking for thoughts on how to do the following.<p>I am slightly aware of HAL, so this might be a starting component (?)<p>I would like to be able to wear a "headset" around, (like on cell phones) and be able to use it to talk to my PC. The PC would then follow my commands. I am interested in such things as (1)home control - possibly X-10 (2) answering the landline phone.<p>My admittedly brief research seems to point to the voice link as being a limiting factor. Have also not studied HAL but assume if I could talk to the computer as described that I could then get HAL to do its thing.<p>I need comments and suggestions on the voice link and then the control side of the issue.<p>Any thoughts you folks have will be appreciated.<p>Paul Hurm
[email protected]
haklesup

Re: Wireless voice control

Post by haklesup »

Paul,<p>There are plenty of wireless microphones out there from toys to pro equipment. You should be able to feed the output of the reciever into the mic input on your soundcard instead of an amplifier. Add some speach recognition software (I saw some in the store and have had some bundled with soundcards)and you have most of it. <p>If you want it to talk back to you over the headphone also, get a seperate cordless headphone for the downlink. Just make sure the two signals don't interfere. For example my 900Mhz headphones are useless if someone is on the cordless telephone, all I get is static across its whole tuning band.<p>A cool application would be MP3 on demand just ask for the song and it plays. There's a product!<p>Chris<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: haklesup ]</p>
phurm

Post by phurm »

Getting thoughts and ideas based on the comments - thanks.<p>Here some additional thoughts/limitations.<p>I kind of think the voice recognition is not that far off. A friend told me of his cell phone having the capability to (without training) accept commands such as "dial Paul". He says he even tried to fool it with voice pitch changes and it still worked.<p>For my voice link I would prefer digital with as much security as possible therefore I would like to know if Bluetooth or WiFi might "work better" for this part of the deal.<p>Any other thoughts and comments still appreciated. I sometimes like to bounce things off of other people and the resulting comments give me more things to think about & research.<p>TIA<p>Paul
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Dragon Talk To and other soft ware are readably available. The secret is to learn how to do your computer with its ports into the out put of your choice. Some hardware is required there. The software recognition has been around for more than a decade and only requires a clean input on the mike and lots of memory is also preferred. 128 or higher. Most commands already exist and new ones can be programed into the soft ware by voice and typing commands.