Melting Point of Plexiglass?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Re: Melting Point of Plexiglass?

Post by jwax »

Oh it's plenty cool, Mike!
I can't tell, is the amp getting banged around with the sounds too? If so, I hope the vibrations don't kill the amp!
An enclosure-building buddy of mine uses nothing smaller than 1/4" bolts/glue/strap steel or else sounds will eventually shake the thing apart.
:D
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

Thanks<p>The amp suprisingly doesn't shake too much, much less than I would expect. Hopefully it will be fine, but I guess I'll find out the only way you can, by trying it.<p>As far as sound goes, it is suprisingly good for a $20 speaker from best buy. I do notice the speaker kind-of loses control of itself alot and thud when it hits, but thats only when it's cranked, and only happens with certain frequencies with music, but hasn't occured with a movie yet. Plus, I can always get a good speaker for it if I feel it's worth it.<p>Do you think I'd be able to run a 4ohm speaker with the amp? That would be giving 2ohm to each chip, but the chips are only running at +/-25VDC and can push 8A continuous, 10A peak. Could be enough to do 2ohm???? I have tried a 2ohm load (1ohm per chip), and they didn't run out of current and make a "popping noise" until it was suprisingly loud.
jwax

Post by jwax »

Depends on the output characteristics of those chips. Some don't mind, others may blow. Always good design to use chips in their operating window! 8 ohm to 4 ohm is a big mismatch, and may not even be noticed at low levels. :)
WA2RBA
swamibarmi

Post by swamibarmi »

Hello,
I happened upon this forum while looking for the thermal properties of different plastics for a medical application. As coincidence would have it, I'm also in the process of building a subwoofer. I don't know if this site would be of any use in the future, but there's a company that makes heatsinks out of thermally conductive ploymers:
http://www.coolpolymers.com/