question about inverters

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

question about inverters

Post by dacflyer »

i got one of these 140 watt inverters
you know... 12volts dc to 120 volts ac<p>i am having aproblem and was wondering if someone in the know, can tell me whats going on...<p>heres the situation...
i am using one of these inverters on a
solid state fluorescent light fixture from
lights of america the fixture draws 65 watts maximum,,,<p>after a few weeks or so...the inverter shorts out..i have gone thru 3 of these inverters..
i am using this set up on a solar application..
is there something about this light fixture that doesn't like inverters ? does the light fixture with its solid state ballast,cause some kind of feed back thats wiping this inverter out?? whould a resistor as a dummie load help solve this?? these inverters are not cheap either...and the size is ferfect for what i need..these inverters are sold at most all
radio shack stores. someone please enlighten me... thanx
Dimbulb

Re: question about inverters

Post by Dimbulb »

I recall a simular problem I finally purchased a 400 watt inverter and had no further problems. <p>The inverters were rated for a maximum of 140 peak watts and what they meant is they can endure a brief moment drawing 135 watts. I think you have to triple your wattage needs. Radio shack rents alot of inverters during super bowl.<p>[ January 25, 2003: Message edited by: dim bulb ]</p>
HomeBrew

Post by HomeBrew »

I have seen the RS inverters and they look a little lite in the pants to me. They have a heavy duty price, but that's about all. In my solar power supply i use a Rally 600W inverter and operate 6 60W fixtures. The inverter has a surge capacity of 1200W. I found the inverter at Wal-Mart and it's been running for about 2 years now with no problems. The best part was the price...$49.95 !!!! I liked it so well i bought a couple more !!
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Phew Homebrew, I almost misread your post - just in case RS used as a trade mark by a company called RS Components - they trade in the US under another name - they are very expensive, but you pay for the quality.<p>I know RS is the acronym for Radio Shack (Tandy in most other parts of the world). But it could save nasty emails flying across the world. :) <p>Though whether RS Comp would be reading this board I don't know.<p>Colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

radio shack here rents nothing !..lol<p>i will look into a heavier duty inverter then,, maybe i have luck,,,<p>i got another one here as well,,, its 2kw surge
at over 200amps dc... but i cannot use it on ac motors or ballast well.. its makes them humm loudly,,, not desirable,, also i noticed the ac cycles are higher...almost double,,,i know this is a cheap modified sine wave inverter,, but i think the double cycles cannot be right...i guess it wasn't ment for home use