Hello! Newbie to electronics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Jus

Hello! Newbie to electronics

Post by Jus »

Hello,
I am new here. Just registered and this is my first post.
I am a software developer who has been recenlty hooked to the fascinating world of electronics, thanks to a currently undertaken graduate class in embedded programming at a local University.
I have an undergraduate degree in Computer Science and had a bit of electronics courses some 13 years ago, all of which I have forgotten.
:-)<p>I am looking to read up and learn more about electronics. I read quite a bit of "The Art of Electronics" by Horowitz yesterday at a local bookshop, but it is really detailed and more of a reference book I felt.<p>I am looking for a more rapid introduction and have been reading up on free materail on the web. I am looking for a book that will give me a fairly good understanding of the basics, something that can be read in about a month. And I am raring to get started on some amateur projects.<p>Any good book/magazines/tips of any kinds recommendations would be most appreciated.<p>Thanks.
-Justin K.
MI, USA
2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2
greg123

Re: Hello! Newbie to electronics

Post by greg123 »

I know this is another website i am giving you, nut it's a well organized web "book" on basic electronics. It starts on DC, then goes to AC, included semiconductors, motors, Digital....<p>It's actually better than most single books I've seen.<p>Lessons In Electronic Circuit Volumes<p>If you have any questions on the readings, i am sure us here on the board can help you out.<p>Have Fun<p>Greg
Dimbulb

Post by Dimbulb »

One senario might be to set aside programming for a while and concentrate on PIC from a digital point of view, brushing up on electronics 101 theory and fabrication. Since you like specific teaching methods there are alot of PIC books.<p>A fast microprocessor running a micro linux platform using compiled atmel C would only be only as good as the device's acceptance which is inexpensively demonstrated with a PIC but not necessarily robust or blazing like a palm top.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Good books to buy...Any by Forrest Mimms<p>He brings the basics to such a simple level of understanding that you wll get hooked. Tweaking his basic designs really teaches you a lot.<p>Radio shack usually has at least one book of his?
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

"The Art of Electronics" is likely the best book on my shelf for discrete circuits, though it's probably not the quick intro you're looking for. Are you looking to get into embedded systems or analog stuff or ???
bwts

Post by bwts »

Any books by Robert Penfold (god knows theres enough of them)<p>B)
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Mr BTWZ,<p>I'm not sure that Babani press still publish in the US.<p>
But you're right he is very prolific, I have their coil winding data book priced at the princely sum of 25p. At the time that was a major purchase decision for me as I was still at school!<p>colin
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
Jus

Post by Jus »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by bobsRAC:
"The Art of Electronics" is likely the best book on my shelf for discrete circuits, though it's probably not the quick intro you're looking for. Are you looking to get into embedded systems or analog stuff or ???<hr></blockquote><p>Thanks for all the replies everyone. I am looking to delve into embedded systems into detail and also learning more about analog circuits and amplifiers.<p>Any specific recommendations on these subjects or recommendations of any kind would be most appreciated.
Thanks.
-Justin K.
MI, USA<p>[ January 28, 2003: Message edited by: Jus ]</p>
2+2=5 for extremely large values of 2
Donald S. Lambert

Post by Donald S. Lambert »

Thanks Greg for posting the web site. I have went there and it is what I have been looking for. Now that Poptronics is past history there is only Nuts and Volts. And I have seen so many go by the wayside. Greybie