Need so help with a timming circuit.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Quale

Need so help with a timming circuit.

Post by Bob Quale » Tue Nov 11, 2003 6:30 am

I'm trying to make a 12v timer that, when a switch is turned on that will run a 12v pump, the timer will wait 15 seconds and then power on a 12v solinoid. When the same switch is turned off, the solinoid will stay energised for 30 seconds. I was tinking maybe a op amp and npn transister but can't get the second delay. Any help would be appreciated.<p>Thanks<p>Bob<p>[ November 11, 2003: Message edited by: Bob Quale ]</p>

russlk

Re: Need so help with a timming circuit.

Post by russlk » Tue Nov 11, 2003 2:33 pm

Power the solonoid thru two diodes; the first diode gets power from the 15 second delay, the second diode gets power from a 30 second source. You need 2 555 timers for the 15 second delay, one for the delay another to produce a pulse that turns on an SCR or latching relay that will power the solonoid for an extended time. A third 555 timer will provide the 30 second power to the solonoid (you will need a buffer if the current required is more than 200 mA). Turning off power to the 15 second delay circuit will initiate the 30 second timer.

Bob Quale

Post by Bob Quale » Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:43 pm

I thought that the 555 timers didn't like to have a steady on state at the trigger as I would be doing when I turn the switch on. The switch may be on for any lenght of time as long as it has the 15sec delay and 30sec end.<p>Thanks Bob

russlk

Post by russlk » Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:06 pm

The 555 triggers on the negative edge of the input pulse, so you will need to invert the positive signal from power on. Use a coupling capacitor so the signal does not stay low.