IR Extender circut?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Zapernut

IR Extender circut?

Post by Zapernut »

Sorry if this is a dumb question:
I am in need of a way to extend IR from outside a closed cabnet to inside to be able to control DSS system. (powered reciever irin -- wires -- to irout, no conversion of ir, also have vcr in there that I want to control)
Anyone know of a circut that is altra simple - I am really really out of practice at making anything. Or even better a product that would do this - I asked at radioshack and the only thing they have is an RF converter for $60+..<p>Any comments welcome.
ZaperNut
Edd

Re: IR Extender circut?

Post by Edd »

Definitely not a dumb question, I just question that I interpreted the question properly. If I got it right U just want an IR remote extender, like able to pass thru walls and over buildings, and thru the air, all in a single leap,etc. If you were to use this circuit with the main unit outside, and have 2 decently short lines extending two IR emitters to the faces of ur DSS and VCR . Velcro mounting tabs cud hold them in alignment with the units IR sensors, thus
producing a neat installation and affording easy removal from the units, if required.
This unit uses the same IR detector/processing unit as modern TV's and VCR's, so that part is flawless.Thereby this circuits performance far exceeds simpler ckts using an IR det and a few discrete components that I typically see that are utilized. $10 US shud get ur parts, or some variance if U shud have a well stocked
"Junque" box. The 3 term IR unit cud even potentially be salvaged from a '90's up vintage scrapped TV or VCR. Radio Shack has them also. A wall wart 12VDC xformer wud replace the specified batt.
The D2 (IR emitter diode) only, wud be remoted, its current limiting resistor wud stay on the ckt bd.
A replication of the diode and another current limiting resistor wud be needed for a VCR unit's activation.
Your circuit and data is :
http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circu ... irext2.htm <p>73's de Edd<p>[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)
[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)<p>[ August 05, 2002: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>
Zapernut

Post by Zapernut »

Good answer Edd...<p>http://www.mitedu.freeserve.co.uk/Circu ... /irext.htm
looks allitte more like what I was looking for...
Again haven't picked up a soldering iron for years - anyone know anywhere that I can buy one preassembled.<p>Thanks again.
ZaperNut
Edd

Post by Edd »

Thats the type I was referring to as being a bit less than desirable ! Due to its reduced sensitivity, and theres the posibility of the detector diode getting "swamped" by ambient lighting, unless appropriate IR filtering is utilized for the detector unit. <p>I Don't know of any kits for any units of this nature. <p>On construction, U might use a variant of the
"dead bug" technique. Look to the magnified version of the component layout shown and use a blank of formica,etc, rough side up ; or abrade the finish side with some water-immersed #400 wet and dry carbide paper. The parts lay on their backs with at least ~ 1/2" wire leads sticking straight up fm the board . Precisely position them and use a trace of super glue to affix them into position. Acetone, as a solvent,corrects goofs. Resistors leads are bent and pointed upwards also, while its case is glued to the blank .Lastly you use appropriate lengths of KYNAR wire- wrap wire to make Ur connections using a wire wrap tool or I usually use a sharply pointed set of tweezers (not the blunt eyebrow style!) where U can just twirl the wire on for 3-4 tight loops.<p>73's de Edd<p>[email protected] (Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~~Speed)<p>[email protected] (Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)