transistor pinout

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
paulrevelcet

transistor pinout

Post by paulrevelcet »

Can someone help me identify the leads of a 2n109.<p>Looking from the bottom of the the can, one lead on the right, 2 close together on the left.<p>Thank you.
Dave Dixon

Re: transistor pinout

Post by Dave Dixon »

NTE Datasheet<p>Hope this helps,
Dave
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

NTE datasheet
Or maybe this one???
Good luck,
Dave
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

The data sheet doesn't match what I have, the leads are not in a triangle shape but are in line and looking from the bottom,(dead bug) they look like this . .. not .'. <p>here is a link to a picture. http://semiconductormuseum.com/MuseumSt ... _Index.htm
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

Whew? My old 1985 RCA/SK book doesn't show any packages like that. If you have them, can you ohm them out?
I'll dig a little deeper thru the archives if needed.
Dave
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

One way is a generic test you can do on any transistor.<p>Check for a diode between any two leads. Use a multimeter in diode check mode or ohmmeter mode. Since you already know they are PNP there should be a forward biased diode from C to B and E to B. <p>This identifies the Base for sure but you may need to make a guess as to which if the others is the Collector and Emitter. The collector may share continuity with the can so if one pin is shorted to the case, that is a good guess to the C. The Red dot in the photo may also serve to identify the C.
jwax

Post by jwax »

How about e-mailing that museum and asking them?
BTW, what are you building?
Inquiring minds have gots to know!
John
WA2RBA
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Well, not so much building, or even repairing, more like resurrecting, I am trying to bring back to life a long dead amplifier, type SHFA1 out of a Seeburg 220, time has not been kind, most if not all the cloth insulation is gone from the wires, and all the markings from most of the capacitors and other components has long since faded into obscurity, it had been set on fire and then put out with an ax by someone who heard love me tender one two many times after there wife left them for there boss, at least this is the theory my wife had when I brought it home to fix, 75% done though, just have a hard time following the schamatic, fixing 50 year old amplifiers is NOT my area of expertise, and when I get an area of expertise is will NOT be in jukebox restoration. After seeing the jukebox, my wife says it will be in optimistic thinking. <p>Thanks for all the help.
Enzo

Post by Enzo »

Why dincha say so. Seeburg used color coded sleeves on the wires but I forget which is which. DO you have the schemo? And I forget the pinout, I have some 2N109s somewhere, but have not used one in decades. When in one of those amps, I just followed the leads. Most any Ge small signal xstr will work.<p>If you have no print, the base of the first xstr has a 15k to ground, and the second stage has a 20k to ground. The two collectors each have a 15k to the -22vdc rail. The remaining lead is the emitter. Also the cap from the input jack goes directly to the base. Figure one of the xstrs out and you know the other one as far as pinout.<p>My experience in these amps is that you should expect to replace all the interstage caps. Any of the paper caps that has high voiltage on it will be leaky. The 6973s are not cheap, I hope they are good. And you can yank the two 6BJ6s to eliminate the AVC. This will make it a bit louder.
rshayes

Post by rshayes »

The base should be the center lead, the emitter is the closely spaced outer lead, and the collector is the farthest spaced outer lead. The distance between centers of the base and collector leads should be twice the distance between the centers of the emitter and base leads.<p>My vague recollection is that the RCA 2n109s were in a cylindrical case with a red dot indicating the collector. This could be another manufacturer.
paulrevelcet

Post by paulrevelcet »

Thank you very much for all your help.
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

Stephen, is correct. I have a D.A.T.A. book for transistors that was published in the spring of 1971. It lists the 2N109 and gives the lead configuration as stated by Stephen.
Edd

Post by Edd »

That’s one old “geranium” transistor…with all of its shifty leakage and thermal characteristics. Using your referenced photo of same unit:
http://semiconductormuseum.com/MuseumSt ... _Index.htm
Seems like they now consider it as a museum curio. ;) ;)<p>[ September 17, 2004: Message edited by: Edd Whatley ]</p>