voice control

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Isenbergdoug

voice control

Post by Isenbergdoug »

Does anyone know of any IC that can have words recorded on them, and then be set into a listening mode, where upon once hearing the a particular word spoken gives a specific output? I've seen some information on Philips "Hello IC", but thought I would see what anyone else suggest. <p>Thanks,
Douglas Isenberg
hlreed

Re: voice control

Post by hlreed »

Douglas,
There are plenty of recording devices and very few recognition devices. Think of sound as a stream of numbers. What you have to do is to compare the input stream with a reference stream and run a motor (or something) with an equal compare. I am mostly working on vision now, but this is also a problem I need to solve.
If input = S and reference = R then
output = S is R. This I have a node for. This lets output = R while R = S. Then output can do its motor thing.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

ampedtech

Post by ampedtech »

Douglas, what about TI's new line of Multi signal processors. MSP430.... They are advertised in N&V. Some have flash memory and built in ADC. So use a microphone to input the words you want to cause to have a digital output. Add a fudge factor to the stored digital word to be compared with (so the incoming voice word will not have to be EXACTLY like the word waiting to be compared with) I see you poring over lines of assembler or C. Maybe too much for your project, but it be guarnteed to keep you out of the bars, at least at night!
Isenbergdoug

Post by Isenbergdoug »

bobsRAC, do you have any experiance with the Sensory chips? That is sort of what I am looking for, the easyiest implementation. The only problem is that I would have to deal with surface mount unless I bought a module, however I guess with the sort of complexity involved in such a thing, that is what I would have to expect. <p>digitech, I'll wait until after I have atleast taken a some DSP classes before I try to build one myself, but don't think that the idea hasn't occured to me....<p>Douglas
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

If I weren't out of town right now, I'd have a Sensory board on the way... No I don't have any experience with them, but If you go here, you'll find the page on which I first saw the board. It's a voice activated alarm system.