MINIATURE LINEAR ACTUATOR

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
PHILBABICH

MINIATURE LINEAR ACTUATOR

Post by PHILBABICH »

I AM LOOKING FOR A SMALL DEVICE TO OPEN A LID ON
A 4" X 5" BOX WHEN 12VDC IS APPLIED. IT WOULD
ONLY NEED TO RAISE UP LID 1" TO 2" AND RETRACT
WHEN POWER IS INTERUPTED. SIZE IS AN ISSUE, WHICH
MUST BE SMALLER THAN 1" X 2" APPROXIMATELY. I
WOULD PREFER A SLOW ADVANCE LIKE A SCREW DRIVE
RATHER THEN THE INSTANT SNAP OF A SOLENOID. ANY
ONE KNOW OF A DEVICE LIKE THIS? (SEEMS TO ME LIKE
SOMEONE INTO ROBOTICS MIGHT KNOW), AND IF SO, CAN
YOU SUGGEST A SOURCE? <p>THANKS
PHIL BABICH :roll:
russlk

Re: MINIATURE LINEAR ACTUATOR

Post by russlk »

There is a novelty item on the market, a small box with a toggle switch on the front. when the switch is turned on, the box top opens, an arm & hand come out and turn the switch off, then the arm retracts and the top closes. Find one of these and see how they do it.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi !
You can canibalize a defunct floppy drive or a CD player for the screw drive motor that positions the head.
It does have over an inch of travel.
But would need polarity reversal to retract.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Nitro

Post by Nitro »

Here some ideas:
Look at this month issue(maybe last month) of n&v
for All Electronics ad. I seem to remember a small gear motor there real cheap. You could put a lever
in place of the output gear. Or try a model airplane servo. If it only has to power up, you might try using springs to open and slow it down
with silicone grease like they do on cassette
player doors. then any micro sized solenoid could release the holding latch. How much force is required? Must this unit operate repeatedly without human intervention? Other options might be
bi-metal springs with a 12v heating coil, a surplus water pistol pump and a syringe as a cylinder. Electric camper vents use electric actuators to open them - maybe too big.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I can think of two ways. A solonoid along with a lever would give you rapid action and instant release when power is removed. A slow motor with a cam attached would give you slower action and may stay open when power is removed. A simple circle with an off center pivit hole would work as a cam or you can make an eccentric cam to control the motion more carefully. The cam can also be coupled with a lever. By positioning the fulcrum at different points on the lever, you can adjust the amount the box opens. eMail me if you need a sketch.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

VCR or Tape Cassette mechnisms have every thing you need, including the micro switches and reversing mechanisms also.