Cooling fan thermostat

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
lanceh5

Re: Cooling fan thermostat

Post by lanceh5 »

Thanks for all of the input. I still don't have a solution that I can install. jwax gave a site <p>http://www.pepiusa.com/<p>where I emailed the sales rep asking for a switch that would turn on at about 80 degrees F. The response was "We cannot provide a snap action with that low of a calibration. I suggest that you contact Selco." I did not inquire about an adjustable switch. I went to <p>http://www.selco.com/<p>and emailed them.<p>I need to install either some 14 ga romex or some thermostat wire to ceiling and switch locations soon. My helper leaves tomorrow and the drywallers will show up Dec 6. Maybe I should install both. <p>It appears that I can not get a thermo switch that turns on about 80 degrees F. Probably will go with a thermostat such as Edd suggested. I might have the drywallers leave the one short wall upstairs bare and dry wall it myself after I get the hardware to make this work.
lanceh5

Re: Cooling fan thermostat

Post by lanceh5 »

The dry wallers are about 75% done installing the sheets. There are 14 Gage wires from the two fan switches that run back near the thermostat location. Today I ran some 14 gage wire from a light box back to a location near the thermostat to provide power for a transformer.<p>The thermostat will be at the ceiling and two thermostat wires are running into the attic where the 14 gage wires are located. The relays and transformer will be in the attic all at the same location.<p>The fan switches will be rotary switches for "off", "on" and "automatic". I intend to use swamp cooler switches. A readily available transformer is a 10 watt 16 volt door bell. <p>Now what type of relay switches would work best?