Audio line splitting

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
bigkim100

Audio line splitting

Post by bigkim100 »

We have a Nortel phone interface that provides a audio output (Mike level) for a standard tape recorder, to record phone conversations. Is there any way to safely slit it so that 2 outputs are available, one to the recorder, one to the sound card input of a desktop computer.
HELP!
I really need this.
Thanks in advance,
[email protected]
Kim..The man with the cute little girls name...and Frankensteins face and body.
viveguy

Re: Audio line splitting

Post by viveguy »

A transformer would be the best way.There are telco transformers available from just about any surplus or catalog house.You can also try the Pico website for part number information.Look at epanorama.net for detailed instructions on signal splitting.
bwts

Post by bwts »

U can just split the cable in two if u like all thatll hapen is that the signal will be weaker down the two branches but you can turn the recording level up though a sound cards mixer program. If you look there are are plugs ready made up that will split the signal for you. I do it all the time with audio siganls + have never had a problem.<p>B
"Nothing is true, all is permitted" - Hassan i Sabbah
mikeb

Post by mikeb »

kim you need to know whether the output plugs are rca or 3.5mm, which ever they turn out to be you can buy a very inexpensive splitter at radioshack for this purpose.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Kim, if you're indeed using a standard tape recorder such as is used in a home stereo system, you could just feed the LINE OUT connections to your sound card if the recorder will be recording while you're using the sound card input.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.