Popular Electronics Magazine

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dean Huster

Re: Popular Electronics Magazine

Post by Dean Huster »

"Before my time". Geez, you two are making me feel old. Yeah, the old small format of the electronics magazines sure made for easier bookshelf storage. Most of them were small back then, even QST. But Radio-Electronics (renamed Electronics Now and Electronics World were always in the large format we know today. The only advantage the larger formats had was more space for 1:1 PCB layouts.<p>Nuts & Volts is a relative newcomer. Most of can easily remember when they had their larger format (huge, actually, and very difficult to store), but do you rememember when they were nothing but classified ads and NO projects? As I recall, go farther back yet and they were a tabloic newsprint publication that was 100% classifieds.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
sigint33

Post by sigint33 »

Dean,<p>As far as I know and I'm talking about the days when Nuts & Volts was a free tabloid handout at parts stores they always had valuble articles and columns, I never saw an edition that was pure advertising.<p>sigint33<p>[ November 29, 2003: Message edited by: sigint33 ]</p>
jbsteele

Post by jbsteele »

I had one really old issue of N&V from back in 93 I think. It was almost all ads, except for a single project. They used to hand out freebies of the large-format issues (a couple months old) at the computer shows. I never subscribed since they were too big for my apartment mailbox. The local bookstores didn't start carrying them till about 3-4 years ago. Those large ones were a pain to scan. :-)
jbsteele

Post by jbsteele »

BTW, Carl & Jerry fans can find a few of the stories online here:
http://home.gwi.net/~jdebell/pe/cj/cnjindex.htm<p> :roll: