OLD HOME MOVIES CONVERSION

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JOHN GAGARIAN

OLD HOME MOVIES CONVERSION

Post by JOHN GAGARIAN »

i WOULD APPRECIATE (DETAILED INFO IF POSSIBLE) ON HOW TO TRANSFER OLD SUPER 8 FORMAT FILM TO DVD
dacflyer

Re: OLD HOME MOVIES CONVERSION

Post by dacflyer »

my guess would be to use a cam to video it from the wall,,,save as...mpeg or dvd...then burn it to disk,,,,<p>any other way...you would need some special expencive equipment,,,
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

When folks were gearing up with their camcorders and such in the 1980s, they sold a little "8mm film to video converter" which was nothing more than a little box with a 45° mirror or other variances that you hung on your projector. You focused the projector onto the little screen and then placed your camcorder or video camera on the other end and recorded the picture. My Dad converted a lot of his home movies to video just as suggested: show the movie on a regular screen and then point the camcorder at the screen and record. Since he had a soundtrack to deal with, he usually just played some easy-listening music for the camera to pick up -- a technique that I didn't particularly like. The movie was a silent film, so the video might as well be also.<p>Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jwax

Post by jwax »

How then, does one get the NTSC composite video from the camcorder into the video card, to digitize and record it on a CD or DVD?
I have the same query- how do you save old Super 8MM video from a camcorder onto a CD?
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

Do you have a video capture and/or tv tuner card in it? Also a DVD-R drive? If so, you can connect the video (if composite) to a yellow plug on the card or if coax to a coax in.<p>If your computer doesn't have the correct connector, then use a VCR to turn composite to coax or coax to composite.<p>then use a program (easiest being Sonic MyDVD with record-to-dvd feature) and capture it to a DVD
jwax

Post by jwax »

No tuner or capture card in this old PC. I guess that's what I need then.
Thanks Mike.
John
WA2RBA
jwax

Post by jwax »

No tuner or capture card in this old PC. I guess that's what I need then.
Thanks Mike.
John
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

jwax, another way is, depending on your camera, using firewire. If you camcorder does have firewire u can use it to capture video to your computer.<p>If not, see if someone you know has one that you can borrow.