Data logging from a heart beat monitor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
FW145

Data logging from a heart beat monitor

Post by FW145 »

Does anyone out there have any idea on a device that I can use to capture the output of a heart beat monitor? I know the monitor uses a FM signal to transmit from the chest belt to the digital watch. However, the model I got does not have data logging capability and I would like to add this feature to it. <p>I am planning on data logging during at rest time, sitting at the desk or sofa only (not moving around). Please let me know if anyone has any suggestion.
russlk

Re: Data logging from a heart beat monitor

Post by russlk »

If the manufacturer will tell you the carrier frequency and modulation bandwidth, you can find a receiver and data logger.
bobsRAC

Post by bobsRAC »

Do you have access to a Spectrum Analyzer?
FW145

Post by FW145 »

Spectrum Analyzer - No....
But maybe I can get one; I work in a test lab. <p>What will I use the analyzer for? Don't I need to identify the FM frequency with a frequency counter first?
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

A Spectrum Analyzer WILL do the same thing as a frequency counter. It will show the signals from the watch as a spike (actually one main spike and two smaller "sideband" spikes). You will be able to tell what the frequency is from the Spectrum Analyzer itself. And the analyzer is usually a bit more sensitive then a counter.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!