Question about Electrical Grounding

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Markkim

Question about Electrical Grounding

Post by Markkim »

Good day all,
I have a circuit of 10/2 connected from an auto-transfer switch mounted on the back of the power center to the outside cabinet where my solar system will be installed shortly. I'll attach an plug which will always be plugged into the inverter (after I reviewed it from blog).

The inverter has a ground lug on the outside. Do I need to attach a ground wire to it separately, or is it grounded by way of the ground wire in the 10/2?

I added a 15A circuit with 14/2 to the same space for a convenience outlet. That will be in a metal surface mount box. If the 10/2 grounded plug doesn't suffice as the ground for the inverter, I can run a ground wire from the inverter to the metal box with the outlet and tie it to that ground.

Does that work?

Kind Regards.
dyarker

Re: Question about Electrical Grounding

Post by dyarker »

Is it 10/2 or 10/2 WG (with ground)? If only 2 conductors, they are hot and neutral. While neutral is grounded at the entrance, it is not the safety (non normal current) ground. If the 10/2 has a third conductor, bare or green, that is for safety ground. The inverter should have a permanent ground to the lug ((??plug is only connection to inverter??). ((plug on inverter is male or female?)) 14 gauge is 2 (standard) sizes smaller than 10 gauge. If there is a fault on the circuit that needs 10, then the 14 will have too much voltage drop and/or melt.

Cheers,

{added - a green, single wire, 10 gauge from lug to ground in service will bond the inverter.}
[[if outside North America change green to yellow with green stripe]]
Dale Y