New Step Up Transformer

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Markkim

New Step Up Transformer

Post by Markkim »

Hi, all
I know Koetsu recently came out with a new step up transformer. Has anyone heard it and if so what did you think? Which cartridge did you use? Or can a step-down transformer be used as a step-up transformer? (which comes from blog)
Thank you in advance.
dyarker

Re: New Step Up Transformer

Post by dyarker »

I very simple theory yes.
In practice frequency, power (Watts) to transformed and ratio of in to out voltage needed are all considered to avoid "smoke" or losing all to parasitic inefficiency.

Have you got an app in mind?

Cheers,
Dale Y
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

If the current is low, generally yes, a transformer primary and secondary can usually be exchanged but in practice the wire gauge of either winding is what sets the maximum current so you could still overstress it when stepping down and the output current is higher than the input current. Applying a larger voltage you probably can get away with a little overstress but at some point it could punch through the insulation and short out a winding. If you have a spec sheet, just don't exceed the ratings of either winding and you should be safe from overstress of the component. The link appears to touch on these topics though I did not have time to read it thoroughly.
Markkim

Post by Markkim »

Thank you for replies.
Recently I use it with an urushi tsugaru. Its a very understated exterior design but sounds outstanding. I assume its all about the inner design.
And I try to use a new SUT with old Koetsu cartridge usually does not give good result. The transformers were wired and tuned to suit the carts produced at the time.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

user cookieclickeraz, above, is a spammer. ignore
Dale Y