Alcatel Flip Phone - Model 4044C - For Handicapped Relative

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
fine-tune

Alcatel Flip Phone - Model 4044C - For Handicapped Relative

Post by fine-tune »

I posted about this on a few popular "computer and cell phone" help forums. I'm posting
this message here, because Nuts & Volts members probably know more about cell networks
than the moderators at those big forums.

For many years, I've been helping a handicapped relative. He receives free cell service
from Assurance Wireless. It's called a "Lifeline" service. They also provide free low quality
(absolute junk) phones. I always buy a reliable flip phone for him, because he does not
want a smartphone.

Assurance Wireless is slowly switching from Sprint 3G to T-Mobile 4G. If they switched to
T-Mobile abruptly, thousands of customers would have no cell service. They are terminating
Sprint 3G January 1, 2022.

My relative is receiving dozens of text messages and letters about the switch to T-Mobile and
how he must have a T-Mobile compatible phone. I purchased an unlocked Alcatel phone with a
T-Mobile nano SIM card.

He called Assurance Wireless to activate the phone. The customer service person barely
spoke english, but he was able to follow the activation procedure. When the activation
procedure failed, customer service said he could not activate this phone. I called customer
service for my relative. They read from a script on a computer screen and know nothing
about cell phones or networks.

This Alcatel model is the fourth cell phone I've purchased for my relative. The other three
activated smoothly and he never had to call Assurance Wireless. If I remember correctly,
he just entered his number, pressed the OK button, and the phone was activated.

A member at another forum posted this link:
https://ccm.net/faq/56424-how-to-activa ... e-sim-card

The ccm.net article is about activating your SIM card online or calling T-Mobile. The problem is,
my relative has a PIN number for Assurance Wireless, not T-Mobile.

As I said, those "free" phones from Assurance Wireless are generic garbage. I'm caught in
a catch-22 situation, if you know what I mean. Another "free" junk phone from Assurance
Wireless, or I must find a way to activate this Alcatel flip phone.

I hope you guys can help.
dacflyer

Re: Alcatel Flip Phone - Model 4044C - For Handicapped Relative

Post by dacflyer »

I was told about a year ago that 3G here would be terminated on my OLD OLD NOKIA phone...here i am still having service..
No idea how it's still working..lol
But my old phone is actually a 2G phone being emulated with 3G..
It's strange, but i have a back up when the time comes..
My guess is that it's still working, because of so many old alarm systems , monitoring stations,and other communication systems still use the 3G stuff..
My service is with Verizon...
Maybe one of them jidderbug phones might be something you're looking for,, they are a big format phone ( big buttons ) flip phone style.. some are smart phones as well. check em out..
Also i see all those Obama Phones being handed out all the time.. maybe they might be able to get one of those..
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hmmm........

It sounds like a compatibility problem.
I would look in to what Model Alcatel Flip Phone, Assurance Wireless recommends for use with they're network.

I had a similar problem with Consumer Cellular.
I had my old LG Flip-Phone, that I wanted to use.
But there was a compatibility problem with the chipset, and it could not be reprogrammed to work on Consumer Cellular's network.
Thus, I had to get one that did.
ZTE Z2332CC Flip-Phone was the one that Consumer Cellular recommended.
So far I haven't had any problems with it.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
Externet

Post by Externet »

There is several providers for 'Lifeline' telephony. Dump the incompetents and try others.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -