Streaming question

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
moe

Streaming question

Post by moe »

I have a lot of CD's that I would like to stream over the internet can anyone point me in the right direction that would be free or low cost for me to stream my music.
Or how to stream, my search has not been helpful
Thanks
Janitor Tzap

Re: Streaming question

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Here's an article.
https://thenextweb.com/news/how-to-stre ... er-you-are

Yeah, I get that you want to have your music with you.
But, why not put it on a Flash Card, for listening on your I-Phone?
Or move your collection to a HDD, that you can hook up to your home stereo?

Signed: Janitor Tzap
moe

Post by moe »

Well that sounds good will have to see how to do that. Up in years and not real computer smart. If you can please point me to the sites to find out more
Thank you
Externet

Post by Externet »

About 20 years ago, at my workplace, streaming hardware was made. Since then, 'streaming' to me is transmitting audio on the net. Now; the wording has been twisted as 'receiving'
Well; back to the subject, this is the old original product from my workplace then; new versions have been developed :

From a random vendor----> https://www.sonifex.com.au/discontinued ... procesoor/

Should be available used at many sources.
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
moe

Post by moe »

Thanks for the info another question is how much memory would be needed for 100 cd’s
Thanks again
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

moe wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 2:21 pm Thanks for the info another question is how much memory would be needed for 100 cd’s
Thanks again
The answer is: It depends.

The theoretical limit of a standard CD is 74 minutes, and a .wav file at CD quality (16 bit, 44.1 kHz) is about 10 Meg/minute. That means the max a standard CD holds is around 740 Meg. So take your total run time of the CD and move the ":" right one digit, and that'll give you an idea of how much space that CD will need. (Yes, there are some CD's that can fit more on a CD, but they aren't very common)

If you use one of the more common compressed file types, such as MP3, WMA, or AAC, you can reduce file size by up to a factor of 10. So instead of a 5 minute song needing 50 Meg, it could only need 5 Meg. It all depends on the settings used in conversion.

One thing you'll need to verify is that whatever device you use to receive the stream will be able to play those file types. MP3 is a pretty universal file that darn near everything can play. AAC (Apple Audio Codec) is fairly popular, but some older and non-Apple devices may not play it. WMA (Windows Media Audio) is best used with Windows Media Player, it is much less accepted than the other 2. Again, check if your device will play them.

I'll post more tomorrow.
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Ok, back for a few moments.

I don't know what most people are using these days, but since I'm old school as well, I'll let you know what I use. (and I've been using these since Windows98)

Windows Media Player does a good job of ripping to disc to Wav, WMA, and a few others. You can explore that in it's settings to see what your version does, if you have it.

CDex I've used since the Beta time, and I've been using older versions, well, because my computers are older. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDex for info. I can check to see what versions I have and might be able to send a link if you are interested.

I also use Audacity if I want to convert to other file types. In this instance, you'd want to have a music file already that you need to convert.

That's it for now.
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

a 32GB or 64Gb memory card can hold more than 100 DCs of music easily.

There may not be many services that allow people to upload and stream their music due to copyright laws. The liability to a service that you might use your streaming service as a free broadcast radio station is high and that may be unattractive, that plus the large amount of memory some users would use. One thing for sure, Music industry is still filled with Lawyers and producers who hold onto rights vigilantly.

I think if you install a cloud drive, some brands have software and apps to allow you to stream from that device. It takes a bit of setup and you need to setup a port redirect. I don't know all the steps, my WD cloud drive is quirky and I had difficulty sharing content by links with friends but hypothetically that should be possible.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

Is DC a typo for CD? Or, a medium I don't know about?

Cheers,
Dale Y
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

dyarker wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 am Is DC a typo for CD? Or, a medium I don't know about?
Yeah,
That's a typo.

The only DC reference I can find, is regarding the music seen in Washington D.C. :lol:
Not a storage format.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
moe

Post by moe »

Thanks for all the info